How to add hatches to decks

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by No Bait / Lures Only, Dec 2, 2014.

1. No Bait / Lures Only

No Bait / Lures Only I Love microskiff.com!

Need advice, how to cut existing composite decks and add hatches made from the deck cutouts, and how much reinforcement required to frame in and stiffen? Is any articles inside the site addressing this type of modification?
    Thanks in advance..... :-[

2. copperhead

copperhead Well-Known Member

I can only suggest this... buy these....full guttered frames with nice glass hatches your 250 lb buddy can jump on.  Frame pic is the only one I have, it doesn't have the full gasket on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Epoxy the frames in and you are good to go.  If you think it will work let me know and I'll send you the guys phone # that makes these for me.  Not cheap at $330 with Gemlux hardware, but quality stuff! Also has a rectangular hatch....

3. No Bait / Lures Only

Looks good to me, please send the information so I can finish my skiff. Thanks a bunch. :)

4. copperhead

copperhead Well-Known Member

Name is Matt Halsy - 772.979.5935 - tell him Mel sent you. If your skiff is a standard Awlgrip color he should be able to get the correct gelcoat. By my experience is color probably would not match exactly plus you would probably want to sand off the non-skid and try to match yours...

Hope it helps!

Mel

5. No Bait / Lures Only

Mel,
    Thanks for the information
    Steve :cool: