How screwed am I?

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by SomaliPirate, May 14, 2018 at 9:26 AM.

1. NativeBone

NativeBone Well-Known Member

2. SomaliPirate

SomaliPirate Well-Known Member

Thanks, I appreciate it. I've got my fingers crossed- as much as I bitch about this skiff, I really do love the damn thing.

3. NativeBone

There ya go... and it's a lot cheaper to fix it than buying a new ride

4. makin moves

makin moves Well-Known Member

My father made a insurance claim on his skiff (his own fault but still a accident) and they covered all repairs. You should be good, Fingers crossed

SomaliPirate likes this.
  5. Boatbrains

Boatbrains Well-Known Member

Yeah, I imagine around $2k +/-?

6. SomaliPirate

Yep, Glasser gave me the best quote at 2500

7. Boatbrains

I’ve heard he does great work too.

8. SomaliPirate

I've heard a lot of great things about him, although I know a couple of folks here have had bad experiences. His work looks like art and he answered the phone on the first ring and was super cool. Hopefully insurance will pay this and let me take it to him.

9. Boatbrains

If you can get ahold of Larry’s in Citrus county I know first hand that he does top notch work also! I would quote you but am not in buisiness to do so. If you decide to tackle it yourself, I’d help you at no charge maybe a little fuel $ and a cold beer or 2. After work time of course.

SomaliPirate and NativeBone like this.
  10. SomaliPirate

Much appreciated man! I didn't know of anybody in Citrus doing that kind of work. I heard Young boats in Inglis would occasionally do repairs but I didn't figure they would work on my old junk. To be honest, I'm afraid to touch this thing myself. I'm pretty good on mechanical stuff, but this is more like fabrication/art. My work style is too cave man to do it right!

makin moves and Boatbrains like this.
  11. Boatbrains

Yeah, Larry does mostly mobile gel coat repair these days but might be willing to tackle it. I’ll try to find his number, haven’t seen him in a while.

12. SomaliPirate

Just got off the phone with the claims adjuster. He's going to send someone out to look at it. Seemed to imply that a transom could be a normal wear and tear issue and that it might not be covered if that were the case. If that is the case, someone may have to restrain me physically.

13. Boatbrains

Didn’t you hit bottom last trip out causing that damage? It was a sand bar right? That’s why no damage to lower unit. That is surely covered by insurance.

jmrodandgun and makin moves like this.
  14. NativeBone

15. makin moves

Bingo! First delete this thread.

Boatbrains likes this.
  16. makin moves

That's catastrophic failure not wear and tear. They will take care of it. If he tries to say it is tell him to show you other examples like you're transom to back up his claim.

Boatbrains likes this.
  17. SomaliPirate

The thing is I did hit a gnarly pothole on the way out of the ramp, which was bad enough that I stopped and got out to make sure everything was ok. Seemed fine so I headed on home. Didn't notice any damage until I went to wash her up. Seems unfair that it would definitely be covered if I were an idiot asshole who ran over oyster bars.

Boatbrains likes this.
  18. Boatbrains

If the first adjuster denies the claim, get quotes showing that it is not normal wear and tear and is in fact a catastrophic failure and talk to an attorney. Of course check your policy first. I once had an adjuster ask to see the intake and exhaust valves on a two stroke. I promptly told him to have a nice day and called the provider up and requested another adjuster. They sent me someone that knew what they were talking about and all was well.

yobata and SomaliPirate like this.
  19. NativeBone

First, you have to get the adjusters attention and set the tone.........

click on the file.

Attached Files:

20. SomaliPirate

I don't see how it could be normal wear and tear when the day before there wasn't so much as a spider crack in those areas.

Boatbrains likes this.