Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,815 Posts
While I should be more diligent in tracking the engine hours, I typically use the calendar for most services. Every spring (before it gets unbearably hot in the garage) I change the engine oil and fuel filter. I added the Racor S3213 fuel filter with stainless bracket and plastic see through bowl when I purchased the boat and mounted it below deck in front of the motor so relatively easy to get to for change out. Have seen very little debris in the bowl and have been running corn juice during my ownership. I also examine the small fuel filter under the cowl and change that out if it starts getting dark in color (usually every 3 or 4 years). I change the gear oil every two years (regardless of engine hours).

I probably change plugs every three years or sooner if I don't believe the engine is starting quickly or losing any performance.

I use my water pressure gauge to determine when it is time to change the impeller. If I see a consistent drop in pressure (5 lbs or more), then it is time.

I know this is probably another discussion but I am starting to pay more attention to the life of the batteries. I run two Optima Blue Tops (starting/house and 12V trolling motor) which have never let me down but thinking that I should go ahead and replace them at the 5 year mark.

And I do have a small notebook where I write down all services, dates, engine hours, quantities, brands, and part numbers as well as keeping a maintenance guide taped in the inside cover.
Add your trailer tires to the list!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I do. And bearings too. Rather than rebuilding the bearings I just replace the hubs (with bearings), pre-greased and ready to mount. They are relatively cheap and much quicker/easier than repacking old bearings. I also keep a new spare hub assembly in my trailering box to prevent ever having a bearing failure on the road (Murphy's Law).

I swapped out all the tires last year (two primaries and spare) even though I have never had a flat (just cursed myself).

Next on the list is to swap out my Amertrail torsion axel. Getting very rusty on the torsion axel ends....

·
Registered
235 Posts
Backlasher, if you’re in Texas take your trailer to “Trailer Todd“ Garland at The Trailer Shop in Rockport. He just cleaned up the torsion axles on my Ameritrail (same age as yours) and said they should be good for another 10 years. They look good as new. I was sure mine would have to be replaced.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Regardless of the hours replace engine oil and lower end oil once a year minimum or every 100 hours of normal use, whatever comes first.
Replace water separation filter minimum of one a year.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts