how much???

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by orlgheenoer, Sep 3, 2008.

1. orlgheenoer

orlgheenoer Well-Known Member

how much are the tacky little adds inbetween the post during threads?

think I can get one to self promote myself?

2. captnron

captnron Guest

Contact Jan. He'll send you the price schedule. :)

BTW - welcome to America. :p

3. orlgheenoer

Jan details please...

I really need to start making some money off of something that used to be just fun and games.

4. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

Contact via email if you are serious. That is the proper channel for promotional requests.

5. orlgheenoer

6. backwaterbandits

backwaterbandits Well-Known Member

Isn't this round two? ::)
    I don't think the ads detract from the site at all.
    If they help to keep the ball rollin' I welcome them!

7. captnron

captnron Guest

Obviously, before I committed my advertising dollar, I spoke w/ Jan about the future of the site. After the conversation, I would bet I was one of the first to commit. IMHO the site will only improve with funding and he has already shown me it is headed in the right direction. Tom started a great site. Jan is trying to take it to a new level and that requires funding. :)

Just my .0000000000000000002 sense but I did put my money where my mouth is. ;)

8. B.Lee

B.Lee Well-Known Member

Hooray for capitalism, and God bless America!

To you, fun and games. To Capt. Jan, a fun business venture.

If I had something you wanted or needed, it would be represented in on of those banner ads you hate so much. Why do you hate them again?

9. orlgheenoer

the banners are great:) good for you Jan.

More power to you :)

10. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

I use the site from an Old slow Machine Sometimes ...

The banners Have NO noticable Effect on speed ... If They Did I would Whine about it ...

Would Like to know how it works without Bogging things Down ...

Nice Job NO Complaints ...

Dave

11. deerfly

deerfly Opinicus iracibilus

There's a little overhead on your ISP link to bring down the graphic files (pictures :)) and as long as your browser is caching the graphics, you only incur the download overhead once, unless the graphic is updated then the new copy will come down. The other aspect of the adds, display and animation, which run as script or plugin code locally within your browser. Think of it as supplemental software that is added dynamically to your browser as you surf the internet.

Bottom line is connection speed and your browser session having sufficient computer resources to run in your machine (memory and CPU primarily). If you have more than one browser instance running then all of them are competing for those finite resources and degradation increases with each additional browser session. Having any other applications running while you surf will also add to the degradation.  If your machine wasn't sufficiently configured to support your browser the banner adds wouldn't make much of any difference at all, all your internet surfing would be slow, even pages without graphic animation. But generally speaking, even "old" machines these days are relatively fast and capable to host the browser software and the download link speed and internet congestion are usually the adversaries...  

12. Un-shore

Un-shore Well-Known Member

bwb wrote; "I don't think the ads detract from the site at all."

what ads?  :-?

13. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Are You running ad blocker software?
    Bad moderator! No doughnut!

14. captnron

captnron Guest

I obviously don't mind the banners since I "bought into it" but I didn't like the what looked like low budget "cheepo" adds. I'm not to quick to form an opinion because I like to give "change" a chance. I will say I kind of like the new banners, that have the Chevy (even though I'm a Ford man ;D ;D ;D), and the other outdoor appropriate adds. I feel like I've logged onto the sports channel. :cool:

Just my .0000000000000000002 cents

15. Un-shore

Un-shore Well-Known Member

No, I'm saying they don't bother me much and I hardly give them a second thought unless its something I'm interested in.

16. MATT

MATT Well-Known Member

Toyo last I remember

17. Kemo

Kemo The world is flat....and shallow.

I didn't even notice them for a while. And if they will buy a tricked out NMZ for a very worthy cause, then I'll put up with them. Which reminds me, I can't get over how many positive comments I get on my t-shirt! We must be doing something right! ;)

18. JRH

JRH Well-Known Member

Tricky...tricky. How'd you sneak those things in past my Mozilla Ad-block Plus???