Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am in the process of looking to buy a home and then the wife has promised I can buy my skiff. I want to make sure I am looking at garages with enough space to store my skiff. I am thinking it will be between 16-18' and likely somewhere between 70-115 Yamaha (although my mind is not totally made up so I would welcome examples that have other engines). I know I will want a breakaway tongue. So with all that said if I want to store the boat straight in (let's assume 18' skiff and 115 Yamaha) how much room will I need? I would welcome any comparable real world overall length measurements of boats or engines in that range. Thank you!
I stored an Action Craft 19 Ace (18’ 10”) then add a jack plate and 200 HP Zuke in a 23 ft deep garage - I had a removable tongue and the trailer was modified to have the nose of the boat exactly over the nose of the trailer when the tongue was removed. I had about 10” of room left TOTAL.
So, don’t forget about :
  • jackplate ? (Adds length)
  • boat needs to sit as far forward as possible so the trailer does not add any length to the boat/motor
  • don’t forget about height - power pole?, poling platform? I had a poling platform that cleared the garage door opening by 3”.( the height was 8’)I got lucky with that one - I never considered that dimension until 2 weeks before the boat build was complete.
Jon Hood

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sponsons, jackplate, and type of swing tongue really matter on space needed. I would be less concerned about height. My Vantage is about 82 inches tall, my garage door is right at 78 and I just jack that sucker up real high and it slides right in.
Your assistance is needed. Could you let me know what size breaker I need for the refrigerator? If you have any experience with this, please let me know.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts