Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
If the the garage door height is not more than an inch or two too low, you can also crank up the jack stand which will lower the PP enough to clear the door. My mosquito had plenty of room at 19.2 in length and easily cleared the standard 7ft high garage door, however the 20' sterling I had prior to that did not clear the door and I would just jack the bow up high to clear the door and then lower it back down. Sounds harder than it really is.

·
Registered
2020 BT Micro
593 Posts
My 16'8" BT micro w/30hp Suzuki just barely fits in my garage with tounge folded. Back wall to door is 19'8 but I have 4" hurricane bracing on door so 19'4" is my usable space. With the door closed I have about 1.5" on each end....it was close.

I hang my push pole on bicycle hooks attached to the ceiling

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 14' Ankona Native SUV with a swing tounge in a small 20 ft miami garage. With the hurricane bracing I have enough room to maneuver around the swing tounge and also get out the back door comfortably. I could probably fit a 16ft skiff but it would be tight and less convenient. The other plus is that I can open the beer fridge about 70% of the way. Garage also has stacked washer/dryer so its pretty functional while still housing a skiff.

Another good side of the garage limitation is it keeps me from thinking to seriously about bigger nicer boats that I can't afford.

I was in a similar situation as you when I bought this house last year. I wanted 22 ft+ but couldn't find anything on the market that fit my other needs (like price).

·
Registered
224 Posts
I am in the process of looking to buy a home and then the wife has promised I can buy my skiff. I want to make sure I am looking at garages with enough space to store my skiff. I am thinking it will be between 16-18' and likely somewhere between 70-115 Yamaha (although my mind is not totally made up so I would welcome examples that have other engines). I know I will want a breakaway tongue. So with all that said if I want to store the boat straight in (let's assume 18' skiff and 115 Yamaha) how much room will I need? I would welcome any comparable real world overall length measurements of boats or engines in that range. Thank you!
Mine is 30’ deep. Probably not available in a Florida cookie cutter neighborhood.

·
Registered
'04 HB Devilray Merc 25 HP
1,274 Posts
We got lucky with our house. We had two utility rooms in ours and we took out one of the walls, so we have a 20' foot garage on one side and a 26' on the other. We can fit a 16' Dolphin in one side and a 14'8 Devil ray on the other straight in.

·
I Love Skinny Water
7,185 Posts
Well we have 2 garage’s one upstairs is a 2 car where I keep my truck and mama’s car. Downstairs is a single garage where I could put my boat but the lawn mowers and stuff get in the way. I do keep my 24’ PP in the ceiling. My boat is covered outside on the downstairs driveway

Reactions: Miles813

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sponsons, jackplate, and type of swing tongue really matter on space needed. I would be less concerned about height. My Vantage is about 82 inches tall, my garage door is right at 78 and I just jack that sucker up real high and it slides right in.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My 19’2” Vantage is ohhhh so close. The PowerPole hits the back wall first and I need about 5 inches.. which I don’t think I’ll get as the motor has about 4” before the wall. I have to remove the trailer tongue (two bolts).

So my gracious wife said- angle it and I’ll park outside for the upcoming winter. 😀

·
Registered
112 Posts
You could be like and remove the poling platform think ahhh its all good...then forget about the powerpole. Now I have a bent transom bracket and will have to remove the motor to replace it. I wish I would have paid attention 😞

·
Registered
2020 Chittum Mangrove
1,062 Posts
Make sure you account for your garage door braces while the garage is closing and the height if you put a push pole holder on the platform. My buddy has ripped off two push pole holders.

Front to back of my garage including the braces is 20'4" and 82" high. My skiff fits straight with the swing away but you have to put it in correctly as I have only an inch or two to spare.

I think the removable tongue is shorter than the swing away.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
557 Posts
My garage is 21'8" deep by 22'4" wide. Seemed like plenty when I bought the house, but wish it was a foot or so deeper. I stored my 18'4" IPB with 115 Mercury Optimax ProXS at a slight angle in it and was able to put the golf cart in the other stall (but a car would not fit.) One of the nicest things is that my garage door is 8' high vs. many that are 7'. I have no trouble getting a poling platform, 8' Power Pole, etc. in the garage but it would not have worked with a 7' high door.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am in the process of looking to buy a home and then the wife has promised I can buy my skiff. I want to make sure I am looking at garages with enough space to store my skiff. I am thinking it will be between 16-18' and likely somewhere between 70-115 Yamaha (although my mind is not totally made up so I would welcome examples that have other engines). I know I will want a breakaway tongue. So with all that said if I want to store the boat straight in (let's assume 18' skiff and 115 Yamaha) how much room will I need? I would welcome any comparable real world overall length measurements of boats or engines in that range. Thank you!
I have a 2 car garage, 24' x 24'... the real benefit to this is i can put the skiff in one of the car bays, or horizontally and the cars go in as well.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts