Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of looking to buy a home and then the wife has promised I can buy my skiff. I want to make sure I am looking at garages with enough space to store my skiff. I am thinking it will be between 16-18' and likely somewhere between 70-115 Yamaha (although my mind is not totally made up so I would welcome examples that have other engines). I know I will want a breakaway tongue. So with all that said if I want to store the boat straight in (let's assume 18' skiff and 115 Yamaha) how much room will I need? I would welcome any comparable real world overall length measurements of boats or engines in that range. Thank you!

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you cannot find a home with a big enough garage a good option is the BT Mosquito. With the breakaway tongue its only about 19'. It fits in my standard size 21' garage easily. The Mosquito takes 60-70hp. Mine has the 60 but the F70 is popular too.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
And if you get a skiff with sponsons and recessed tabs, that will save you up to two feet hanging off the back.

·
Registered
Perfection Challenger
90 Posts
Whatever you do make sure you take measurements of the boat and check BEFORE you buy it. :)

Lol, my neighbor didn't and he has to remove his CC windshield and CC grab bar every time. He also has to deflate the tires down to nothing to get it in the garage. Guess he measured the length and didn't think about the height!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,395 Posts
Find a house that has a tandem garage if you can. Its basically 2 car but one of the stalls goes back into an extra single car. My home has one and its one of my favorite parts of the house.
My wife and I looked at a house in Richmond, VA one time--the house had a 3 car garage and one bay was almost triple deep, with a workbench area and bathroom entrance at one end. The ceiling was probably 16 feet tall, and there were pull downs for power and compressor. Looked like a professional repair shop, but nicer!

·
Panhandler
3,469 Posts
Like the old Ross Perot adage, measure twice and cut once. I extended my boat barn by eight feet to accommodate my Mosquito with standard trailer tongue. I have about 10 inches of clearance from the outboard to the back wall, but plenty of room to walk around the front. As someone else pointed out, more room is always preferred to not enough.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Whatever you do make sure you take measurements of the boat and check BEFORE you buy it. :)

Lol, my neighbor didn't and he has to remove his CC windshield and CC grab bar every time. He also has to deflate the tires down to nothing to get it in the garage. Guess he measured the length and didn't think about the height!
you're the second person to bring up height, I did not even think that would be an issue but I will be careful now.

·
Registered
2003 Willy Slo-Poke
21 Posts
my experience with an 18ft action craft....I had a collapsible neck put on the trailer......that worked fine...measured the height of the garage door....good to pass through with the poling platform....what I didn't measure was the height of the door operator so I had to have the poling platform made to collapse and pivot forward on the front legs. Measure twice...cut once! LOL. Then I sold the boat 6 months later.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts