Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I've been looking for a 14ft Kennedy craft hull to mount my 50HP OMC short shaft on. Has anyone put this much HP on one of those hulls? I'm worried about how much freeboard I will have at the transom when it is in the water.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Sounds like too much hp and weight to me. I imagine you could get plenty of performance with a 20 to 25.

·
Registered
852 Posts
There is a formula used to figure all of that. I haven't messed with it in years, but I'm sure you can find it online.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hate to get rid of the motor. It's pushing 150 psi on both cylinders and runs great. You are right though it's probably too much weight.

·
Registered
340 Posts
If it is the little V hull skiff, 20-25 HP is what most of the skiffs like that were rated for. There were 6-7 makers that built essentially the same skiff.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it is the little V hull skiff, 20-25 HP is what most of the skiffs like that were rated for. There were 6-7 makers that built essentially the same skiff.
that’s

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,974 Posts
Well u came to the right place as I had 2 different engines on 13' kennedy kraft, 1969 purchased in Pensacola. Built a mahogany side console using factory console for pattern. Added a mercury s/s 35 hp 140# 2 stroke n ran for a while. Sold motor n put a new 50 hp 165# 2 stroke s/s merc manual n used it for years. No issues with boat r draft issues. Could pull 2 skiers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did it list a lot to one side with that side console or was it stable enough? I tried the same set up with my 50 evinrude on my 14 ft Collins craft and it was way too unstable. Had no freeboard and listed way too much on the starboard side with me in it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I hate to get rid of the motor. It's pushing 150 psi on both cylinders and runs great. You are right though it's probably too much weight.
When I was a kid the guy who lived next to us (we lived on a big lake) mounted a 33 hp johnson on a kennedy and used it as a ski boat-it was fast enough to barefoot ski behind so approx 40 mph. but within a year the boat was sway backed and would chop at any speed.There isn't enough back bone in those boats to withstand that kind of weight and strain.

·
Registered
470 Posts
if youre on a lake how sketchy could it be? just be conscious of weight displacement, maybe try to put gas tank and battery up front.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’ll be in a bay. May be better for me to just get a 25hp.
Go to US coast guard site, look for the boat builders guide and it will tell you how they calculate HP capacity, its length x transom width, and there is a table that tells you the Hp range, they also allow more HP if its console steered rather than tiller. I'm not sure if the CG would care if you legitimately have a hull without the rating plate, if they inspect you they might look for it but if it wasn't there when you got it seems legit. I cant imagine that it would be a boat buyers responsibility to recreate one if the manufacturer is long past, it can get involved.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Go to US coast guard site, look for the boat builders guide and it will tell you how they calculate HP capacity, its length x transom width, and there is a table that tells you the Hp range, they also allow more HP if its console steered rather than tiller. I'm not sure if the CG would care if you legitimately have a hull without the rating plate, if they inspect you they might look for it but if it wasn't there when you got it seems legit. I cant imagine that it would be a boat buyers responsibility to recreate one if the manufacturer is long past, it can get involved.

·
Registered
83 Posts
According to my GPS that I have set up on it I’m running around 23 to 25 miles an hour depending on the wind and the water surface. I wanted to go bigger when I first got the boat but after taking it out I think that my 18 hp two-stroke is plenty fast enough to get me where I need to go. Normally I travel with a 35 quart yeti fully loaded with ice, rods and reels, tackle and a full 6 gallon tank of gas. Plus my bodyweight . I will be installing smart tabs on the transom to help with the lift out of the hole. I’m having a little bit of porpoising But once I install the tabs and re-locate the battery towards the front I should be good. Do you have any pictures of your Kennedy craft?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts