Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m curious to hear various anchoring setups for both fishing and emergency use. Generally, when anchoring on a flat, edge of a channel, or bridge, I can’t remember ever using more than about 40’ of line.

I bought 100’ and was thinking of cutting it into a 40’ piece attached to the anchor for normal situations, with the other 60’ kept to clip on in deeper water or bad conditions. The max depths I plan to run this boat in are around 30’ for the time being. The old standard of 7:1 or 8:1 anchor scope just seems absurd in most cases. I get it if you’re leaving a heavy boat unattended, but I’m not going to carry and deal with 300’ of line. At the same time, I don’t want to be foolish and unprepared for an emergency situation.

·
Wish'n I was Fish'n!
2,625 Posts
...I don’t want to be foolish and unprepared for an emergency situation.
For normal fishing conditions all you need is 5:1 scope with a bungee to keep from pulling your anchor loose or unexpectedly throwing you or your passengers on their ass oceanside. Around 25' is what I carry, and sometimes that's too short for anchoring in 12' calm water with a strong current.

You'll need a much longer rope in your boat to anchor if you find you can't get to safe harbor or shallow water in bad weather conditions, and you'll want a longer rope for towing if needed.

I suggest cutting off what you need for normal anchoring from the 100' you have, and store the rest for emergency purposes.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,517 Posts
30' i use to let my grandsons fish. Mostly stake out with a PP
Or anchor on a line of Tarpon with a quick release just in case I catch one:confused:

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Couple of feet of chain and 50' of rope. I never use it except for the occasional tarpon trip on a deep flat. I just keep in in the front hatch as a safety measure.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
707 Posts
50' plus chain on the anchor with a spliced loop on the bitter end, plus 100' of 1/4" double-braid polyester with a clip on one end for miscellaneous unexpected stuff — extending anchor rode, towing, etc.

The 100' of poly takes up less than the volume of a shoebox and weighs maybe a pound and a half. I don't know — I just don't get running a boat — regardless of size and typical use — without a real anchor and a decent amount of good line on board.

If you lose power and the wind is pushing you into the surf, the rocks, bridge feet, or even a busy channel, a Power Pole probably isn't going to stop you. Neither is a dinky anchor with 25 feet of line. Not everywhere you operate a skiff — or at least not everywhere I operate mine — is shallower than 6'.

One night maybe 15 years ago, I was hoop-netting for lobster around the Mission Bay jetties in San Diego. I always kept the engine running, but it was an old Optimax and sometimes just spontaneously cut off. It would scare the shit out of you every time when it did that 50 miles offshore, but it almost always started right back up. This night, it didn't. For lobstering around kelp, rocks, and jetties, I always kept my anchor and rode ready to go in a milk crate loose on deck so I wouldn't have to dig for it if I needed it in a hurry. Sure enough, it saved my boat and probably at least some injuries. Got it down and set quick enough to stay off the rocks, fiddled around with main battery switch for a couple minutes, got the engine fired, and got back to pulling nets.

I guess the bottom line is I just don't see why you wouldn't have a decent anchor and 100' of line on any boat. I'm just as conscious of weight and space as the next guy, but an anchor doesn't seem optional.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I keep a small Claw anchor with 25' on the boat at all times. If I know I am going to be anchoring in the islands or anchoring bow out a certain beach or restaurant that requires you to pull your boat up on the beach bow out, then I have a 5 gallon bucket on my dock that has a 50' of line and 6' of chain, I grab that bucket and throw it on the boat.

·
Registered
395 Posts
50 feet no chain. I fish inshore and where I take my skiff I rarely anchor in water over 20 feet, 99% of the time I am in water less than 6 feet. I don't use a chain because when I put the anchor down I want to be as silent as possible. In my bay boat I have 200' and a chain.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
50 feet no chain. I fish inshore and where I take my skiff I rarely anchor in water over 20 feet, 99% of the time I am in water less than 6 feet. I don't use a chain because when I put the anchor down I want to be as silent as possible. In my bay boat I have 200' and a chain.
I never really considered it, but yeah I guess the chain makes a good bit of noise.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts