Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Without question tabs down for skinny water holeshot. And then I wanted more, and a four blade prop made it even better. Fishing shallow water a lot.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
16,773 Posts
Well hell, I guess I'm officially part of the skiff world now. Since we are talking launching with tabs down do you want your engine all the way down (negative trim) or parallel to the running surface? I know I'm probably splitting hairs here but since we are talking about it......
Not every boat is the same so you are going to get a lot of random responses.
I perform holeshots jacked all the way up and cav plate flat then trim under as she gets on plane. My skiff is set up much differently and extreme shallow water performance is what it is set up for. If you tuck conpletely under and hole shot in shallow water your prop thrust generated is aiming at the bottom and will create a big blow out even if your prop is not contacting the bottom. Flat holeshots don’t do this nearly as bad and if performing a hole shot over seagrass it will not hurt it at all. I have a video of this with a clean hole shot in a foot of water. The prop wash is not dirty at all and I’m on plane in less than a boat length.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
16,773 Posts
Without question tabs down for skinny water holeshot. And then I wanted more, and a four blade prop made it even better. Fishing shallow water a lot.
You would be surprised what a custom three blade heavily cupped holeshot prop will do…the three blades for speed and four blades for hole shot is an internet myth and a common misconception.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
115 Posts
Didn't want to hijack the "Vengence" thread just curious how many of you tab down to hop up on plane. Only reason I see to do this is if trying to get up in shallow water. Been driving mostly tabless carolina skiffs my whole life and now that I have a new Evo I can see that the tabs are a necessity on these smaller more nimble skiffs. I've operated some midsized offshore center consoles before and am familiar with tab use just never on a skiff. This thread is in response to a few comments I've either heard or read again just to satisfy my curiosity. Thanks!
East Cape Caimen, always tabs down and start bringing them up until I get efficient

·
Registered
125 Posts
You would be surprised what a custom three blade heavily cupped holeshot prop will do…the three blades for speed and four blades for hole shot is an internet myth and a common misconception.
I kept same pitch when going from 3 blade alum to 4 blade SS, and I lost several hundred rpm and and several mph, but gained quicker holeshot and can maintain a lower planing speed. Would be nice to get that rpm back and gain holeshot if the alum prop could get cupped. Any thoughts on strength or advantage or not using SS vs. alum in shallow oyster bar prone areas?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well hell, I guess I'm officially part of the skiff world now. Since we are talking launching with tabs down do you want your engine all the way down (negative trim) or parallel to the running surface? I know I'm probably splitting hairs here but since we are talking about it......
I think it depends on the hull. My tx made flat bottom or cat hull boats all liked trimmed down. Also none of them had tabs and they were all tunnels too. My mosquito likes level or neutral trim with tabs all the way down.

·
Registered
202 Posts
in a skiff tab and trim down during take-off. Every time.

·
I Love Skinny Water
7,580 Posts
When I'm stuck on a flat, I pole or TM till I get to 1.5' of water, Jack my motor up all the way and slowly move out no tabs needed

·
Registered
2015 beavertail micro, 30 etec
31 Posts
I'm usually out of the back end of a skinny bayou so I trim tabs all the way down and the bow doesn't even rise and then when the rpm's turn up I'll start easing the tabs up so I can steer better.

·
Registered
2021 East Cape Vantage 2022 East Cape Bay 2012 East Cape Caimen. 2016 Towee Calusa pro
417 Posts
As has been mentioned, some boats need tab and others do not, but all boats benefit from them.

When I run EVO V demos I put the tabs up and run 90% of the demo with zero tab just to show customers that you can.

The X benefits more from tabs due to the deadrise affecting the chine location.

The Vantage and Caimen series absolutely needs tabs due to the sponsons.

Even my little Dolphin Renegade required tabs to get up. Most low deadrise skiffs do. My Towee has and needs no tabs but with the Shaw wing I can get the stern up in half a boat length.

Tabs are a remarkable and necessary tool on most skiffs, for sure.

·
Registered
2022 Evo
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
As has been mentioned, some boats need tab and others do not, but all boats benefit from them.

When I run EVO V demos I put the tabs up and run 90% of the demo with zero tab just to show customers that you can.

The X benefits more from tabs due to the deadrise affecting the chine location.

The Vantage and Caimen series absolutely needs tabs due to the sponsons.

Even my little Dolphin Renegade required tabs to get up. Most low deadrise skiffs do. My Towee has and needs no tabs but with the Shaw wing I can get the stern up in half a boat length.

Tabs are a remarkable and necessary tool on most skiffs, for sure.
Yeah you’re right the tabs were not needed at all BUT I find that trimmed up with a touch of tab she runs best to get her ass up. You can feel when she hits that sweet spot and it a beautiful thing lol

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,170 Posts
@rovster, I forget if you have a V or an X but either way, use some tab when taking off shallow. I set mine about neutral or maybe a bit down below the plane of the hull. The reason I don't like to go full down is that the tabs on the EVO extend down quite far and you will drag them if its really skinny. For a really skinny take off in my X, I jack up all the way, tab down just neutral or slightly negative, idle foward to get water flowing across the running surfaces, spin the wheel hard to starboard and push the throttle down. As soon as you begin to hear the engine starting to rev really high, ease back on the throttle to let the prop get some bite otherwise it will just blow out. You'll feel the boat get up on top and you can adjust course as needed. The spin up works because you are rolling the boat onto a flatter surface of the hull versus the 5 degree of the X or the 12 degree of the V. The other reason is that it reduces engine draft a little as the the boat rolls up into the turn. DM me with any questions you have about setting up and running your EVO. I know them about as good as anyone.

·
Registered
2022 Evo
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
@rovster, I forget if you have a V or an X but either way, use some tab when taking off shallow. I set mine about neutral or maybe a bit down below the plane of the hull. The reason I don't like to go full down is that the tabs on the EVO extend down quite far and you will drag them if its really skinny. For a really skinny take off in my X, I jack up all the way, tab down just neutral or slightly negative, idle foward to get water flowing across the running surfaces, spin the wheel hard to starboard and push the throttle down. As soon as you begin to hear the engine starting to rev really high, ease back on the throttle to let the prop get some bite otherwise it will just blow out. You'll feel the boat get up on top and you can adjust course as needed. The spin up works because you are rolling the boat onto a flatter surface of the hull versus the 5 degree of the X or the 12 degree of the V. The other reason is that it reduces engine draft a little as the the boat rolls up into the turn. DM me with any questions you have about setting up and running your EVO. I know them about as good as anyone.
Thanks Jay may take you up on that. I have the V. My first true skiff been fishing carolina skiffs my whole life, tab-less and basically mash the throttle and go. Having fun with the Evo though its a sporty ride! So different than what I'm used to. Ride is smooth as silk.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not every boat is the same so you are going to get a lot of random responses.
I perform holeshots jacked all the way up and cav plate flat then trim under as she gets on plane. My skiff is set up much differently and extreme shallow water performance is what it is set up for. If you tuck conpletely under and hole shot in shallow water your prop thrust generated is aiming at the bottom and will create a big blow out even if your prop is not contacting the bottom. Flat holeshots don’t do this nearly as bad and if performing a hole shot over seagrass it will not hurt it at all. I have a video of this with a clean hole shot in a foot of water. The prop wash is not dirty at all and I’m on plane in less than a boat length.
Ive never tried just the port tab down only on spinning up left, I'll give it a shot, thx. Just curious, do you hammer the throttle or ease into it. I have a Yamaha 90hp 2 stroke and both work about the same, but I had Tom Gordon put the tunnel on my boat, the one designed by Kevin Shaw, and it is smaller than the one in a Stilt, so I am guessing my Forman three blade gets a little starved for water on the hammer down method. Not to say I am not VERY pleased with the hole shot, it's pretty awesome. Have a Shaw Wing and Bob's low water pick up nose cone. The only thing I might do different is use a low water pick up like yours the next time around; the Bob picks up a lot of debris down there.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts