Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Evo
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't want to hijack the "Vengence" thread just curious how many of you tab down to hop up on plane. Only reason I see to do this is if trying to get up in shallow water. Been driving mostly tabless carolina skiffs my whole life and now that I have a new Evo I can see that the tabs are a necessity on these smaller more nimble skiffs. I've operated some midsized offshore center consoles before and am familiar with tab use just never on a skiff. This thread is in response to a few comments I've either heard or read again just to satisfy my curiosity. Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 HB Pro
133 Posts
I use mine for jumping up in shallow water, unless it’s so shallow I have to spin in to get it up. Normal depths there’s no need for my boat, but always use them on my bigger offshore boats.

·
Registered
2022 Evo
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use mine for jumping up in shallow water, unless it’s so shallow I have to spin in to get it up. Normal depths there’s no need for my boat, but always use them on my bigger offshore boats.
Yeah I learned the spin up technique a while ago from reading this forum definitely a little gem of info!

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I generally do. Yes, my skiff will plane out without tabbing down, but the tabs pop it up a little quicker. They aren’t a necessity to get me on plane, but they do facilitate a quicker, more efficient process. Definitely needed for skinny water holeshots. They are more important for trimming the hull for efficient running than for getting up on plane. My hull runs cleaner when I tab for hull attitude and use the outboard’s trim to adjust the thrust straight ahead. Without tabs (or the tabs all the way up) I need negative trim on the ooutboard to level the hull, which is less efficient. These lighter skiffs tend to run bow high and really benefit from tabs. I’ve never seen a hull that tabs would negatively affect, although on many hulls the cost outweighs the benefits. I used to run one of Steve Stepp’s 26’ pad vee hulls with a 502 and a Bravo Three outdrive. It certainly didn’t need the tabs, but they undeniably helped to trim the hull and to get that heavy beast up on plane quicker. I like to run those type boats a little higher in the water than a lot of folks, and being able to use the tabs to control hull attitude in sloppy water while keeping the thrust vectored on a more level plane let me rum a little faster when I needed (well……. wanted?) to. Tabs will also help you keep the hull up on plane at the lowest possible speeds when you need to do that.

·
Registered
2022 Evo
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wasn't expecting this many tab down responses. Yes tab down pops you up a little quicker but unless I was in borderline shallow water not sure its worth messing with the tabs so much but that's just my take on it I appreciate the responses its been interesting. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Wasn't expecting this many tab down responses. Yes tab down pops you up a little quicker but unless I was in borderline shallow water not sure its worth messing with the tabs so much but that's just my take on it I appreciate the responses its been interesting. Thanks!
Even in deeper water it can have the benefit of being a little more comfortable for your passenger(s) Flatter take off and sitting normal vs bow rise and having to lean into it. I cross open water some to get to where I want to pole, so odds are I'm going to need tabs anyway. Might as well start off with full tab and adjust from there.

Reactions: sjrobin and rovster

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
16,828 Posts
Both tabs all the way down for a straight hole shot, only port tab down when spinning left for the ole spin up hole shot because with the tab down only on the side you are turning lifts that side up for quicker lift. Every boat is different but generally speaking if it has tabs and you want to hop up the fastest use the tabs, they are a very diverse tool.

·
Registered
2022 Evo
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well hell, I guess I'm officially part of the skiff world now. Since we are talking launching with tabs down do you want your engine all the way down (negative trim) or parallel to the running surface? I know I'm probably splitting hairs here but since we are talking about it......

1 - 20 of 41 Posts