Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just before the covid hit I broke a brand new 6 wt. Orvis Recon on its first trip. I whacked the push pole with it trying to grab the leader while rigging a fly (never even got to feel a fish with it). When I got back to town the Orvis shop told me to bring it in. I had a new one waiting for me at the office less than two weeks later.
I don’t particularly care for Orvis rods but one time fishing in Michigan, an angler walked into a local fly shop (Orvis endorsed) with a rod that he just broke on the river. The shop looked through their inventory and gave him a replacement, took the broken rod and said that they would take care of everything! Wow!👍

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
I had my 8wt Winston BL3 Plus Jungle repaired and it took less than 30 days, was pretty happy with the turn around time all things considered these days.

·
Registered
SeaArk 1860 MVT
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
This is all great information for influencing future purchases, thank you

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,692 Posts
Right after Sage opened back up for business from the lock down, I sent in a rod that my son converted to a custom 5 piece. 6 weeks from phone call to front door. It was recent model but not one of their really popular rods, so I expect they had sections available right away.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,960 Posts
I've broken one NRX ever and it took just over 2.5 weeks. I would call them and speak to the woman who runs warranty. I forget her name, but, she is awesome. I told her I needed it for tarpon after a little over a week of waiting. She was like Tarpon?!?! Oh, we need to get that out to you ASAP. done.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
It would take less time and money to learn how to build and fix your own rods.
That is only partially correct. I do know how to build rods. But you can't repair a broken rod section IF you can't get a replacement section. My problem has zero to do with who built the rod. There just isn't a section available to do the job.

·
Registered
516 Posts
TFO has it figured out! I’ve owned most of the major brand flyrods….and broke my share. I was in a jam for a 5-wt for a recent Wyoming trip….so I bought a TFO Finesse. I broke the tip section toward the end of the trip. I went to the TFO website….and found that I could order the tip section ($35) from their “parts” webpage. The tip was shipped within the week. Easy peasy.

Reactions: Marshdweller08

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just got notification my st croix tip section was shipped...took a little over 4 months. Not bad, but not good either. I would have expected a month under normal times and 2 in not so normal times.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’ve got one out at GLoomis right now that been there since June. It was approved to be replaced but they said not to expect a replacement until next year sometime….. I mean holy cow, that’s crazy.
Everything with G Loomis has been back ordered horribly this past year due to supply chain issues. My buddy waited 4-5 months for a replacement bait casting rod.

·
Registered
Cheat’em Prototiller
58 Posts
February 9 to October 8 with zero response or communication for my Winston Jungle 9wt. Finally, had to get the retailer involved in order to even find out if they had the rod. It‘s going up in classifieds in a couple of days if anyone is looking for such a rod.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
598 Posts
Lamson - got me a rod out within a week or them receiving it. I was suitably impressed.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,507 Posts
Only warranty replacement I ever had was Scott. Twice. All Loomis and Maven rods in the racks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I used the Loomis tip program for a broken tip section on my NRX about two months ago. It took 8 days from phone call to new tip at my door and I did not have to pay or send anything back. I was not even the original owner of the rod.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,575 Posts
Sage doesn't like to repair 30 year old fly rods. So my broken Sage II still sits in my office

21 - 40 of 44 Posts