Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
SeaArk 1860 MVT
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got one out at GLoomis right now that been there since June. It was approved to be replaced but they said not to expect a replacement until next year sometime….. I mean holy cow, that’s crazy.

·
Registered
Capt Parker D
278 Posts
Took orvis a month to acknowledge they even received the rod, I’ll be happy to get it back by Christmas at this point

·
Registered
82 Posts
Took orvis a month to acknowledge they even received the rod, I’ll be happy to get it back by Christmas at this point
I can't say enough for St. Croix. This Spring I broke one due to slamming it the front hatch of my skiff. It was long outside the 5 year warranty period, and the rod had been discontinued. They replaced it with the current Mojo Angler rod for $70, which is the new model, after I sent pictures. They ask that you break it after the serial number near the butt and send them a picture. That's about half the price of the new model. Then, a couple of months later, the new one broke for no fault of my own. They replaced it under warranty with no charge, not even for shipping. In both cases, I had the replacement in less than 10 days.

I also broke a Star rod for the same reason I broke the first St. Croix rod, proving you can't fix stupid. They were cordial, but said "so sorry, your mistake." St. Croix has a warranty to cover the stupid stuff you do, and Star does not. No criticism of Star, but St. Croix is exceptional. It's probably been more than 15 years since I broke a rod, and this year, I broke three of them.

·
Registered
SeaArk 1860 MVT
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't say enough for St. Croix. This Spring I broke one due to slamming it the front hatch of my skiff. It was long outside the 5 year warranty period, and the rod had been discontinued. They replaced it with the current Mojo Angler rod for $70, which is the new model, after I sent pictures. They ask that you break it after the serial number near the butt and send them a picture. That's about half the price of the new model. Then, a couple of months later, the new one broke for no fault of my own. They replaced it under warranty with no charge, not even for shipping. In both cases, I had the replacement in less than 10 days.

I also broke a Star rod for the same reason I broke the first St. Croix rod, proving you can't fix stupid. They were cordial, but said "so sorry, your mistake." St. Croix has a warranty to cover the stupid stuff you do, and Star does not. No criticism of Star, but St. Croix is exceptional. It's probably been more than 15 years since I broke a rod, and this year, I broke three of them.
Ive heard good thing about St Croix from multiple people and internet outlets. I’m scared to buy any more GLoomis stuff after this experience. They tell me that they just don’t have enough people or materials but I sure see plenty of advertisements for their new 2 piece rods..?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,297 Posts
TFO is quick, Hardy is quick, Loomis not too bad, Edge takes a while. I had 5 rods broken in six months. All were at the ham hands and clumsy feet of others. I got tired of packing up rods and sending them in.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I have been waiting on Sage to get my broken section replacement to my rod builder since mid May. UNACCETABLE for a $900+ rod.

·
Registered
82 Posts
TFO is quick, Hardy is quick, Loomis not too bad, Edge takes a while. I had 5 rods broken in six months. All were at the ham hands and clumsy feet of others. I got tired of packing up rods and sending them in.
That right there is what I like about St. Croix. They are pretty much on the honor system. No need to send in the broken rod.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I broke my Orvis rod and told them the part replacement I needed within minutes they informed me they had proceeded it and that the section I needed (tip section of Clearwater 12wt) was on back order and would take a month. It’s is currently being shipped to me now, wish I could have had it sooner as it caused me to miss a bit of tarpon season. But on the other hand I did break one of their pro fly lines and received a shipping confirmation literally 2 minutes after I told them it broke no pictures necessary and for that I applaud orvis just received the line 28 hours later.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I broke a nearly 20 year old Clearwater that was a hand me down from my dad. Orvis had him a brand new Clearwater within about a month. Kinda surprised to hear those wait times, I guess that’s the difference between 250 and 1000.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Remember when discussing these brands some receive your broken rod, build a replacement section to fit and mail back. Others just grab another new built off the rack and send it out. The main difference is one is made domestically and the other is imported. Im not saying one is better than the other as I have rods from both and love them but it is hard comparing apples and oranges.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Remember when discussing these brands some receive your broken rod, build a replacement section to fit and mail back. Others just grab another new built off the rack and send it out. The main difference is one is made domestically and the other is imported. Im not saying one is better than the other as I have rods from both and love them but it is hard comparing apples and oranges.
makes sense. They just mailed me a new rod - they weren’t gonna replace parts on a rod that old.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Took Shimano 11 months to replace my Teramar spinning rod at the height of Covid shortages. I couldn't even buy a replacement at the tackle shop in the mean time. It's just the world we're currently living in

·
Registered
SeaArk 1860 MVT
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Took Shimano 11 months to replace my Teramar spinning rod at the height of Covid shortages. I couldn't even buy a replacement at the tackle shop in the mean time. It's just the world we're currently living in
I feel like warranties are at the bottom of their focus at Shimano/ GLoomis. They are shipping out the rod I need to local retailers but not to people like us. They get more money that way and that can blame it all on Covid.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
58 Posts
I had a Loomis nrx take about four months to get repaired (replaced). I just sent a Helios 7wt into orvis and it took almost a month from delivery in VT to “we acknowledge we have it”

·
Registered
'14 HB Pro & '09 HB Glades Skiff
116 Posts
Just picked up my T&T 8wt today. It took 3 months for repair and return. From my past experiences with Orvis, it typically takes 6-8 weeks. No issues with T&T or Orvis.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Broke my loomis pro-1 in May or something like that. Waited forever, replacement showed up at the house a week or two ago 🙏. I was convinced I was never getting the replacement when I heard they officially discontinued the rod.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Just before the covid hit I broke a brand new 6 wt. Orvis Recon on its first trip. I whacked the push pole with it trying to grab the leader while rigging a fly (never even got to feel a fish with it). When I got back to town the Orvis shop told me to bring it in. I had a new one waiting for me at the office less than two weeks later.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts