Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
15 Posts
It’s been a while since I fished Charleston. But if you plan on crossing the harbor much at all I would definitely sacrifice a little draft for ride. Everything is a trade off so it really depends how much and how far you will be running and what bodies of water you cross. Personally I would do the V

·
Registered
462 Posts
I once get stuck up to my knees once while clamming.
Scary how quickly it happened, glad I wasn't alone.
To get to the deeper holes on a low tide you sometimes have to run very shallow.
And be prepared to stay thru the rising to get back out in NC.....
Hope this helps .......ICM

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,065 Posts
Very important where I fish in NC. Not so much running as poling.

·
Registered
208 Posts
A hpxv is 12 degree and a hpxs is 2 degree right? If that’s the case there’s more than a 2 inch draft difference between those boats.

·
waterman 16
297 Posts
A hpxv is 12 degree and a hpxs is 2 degree right? If that’s the case there’s more than a 2 inch draft difference between those boats.
Hull bottoms are significantly different, so I'm guessing that 2" diff could be right.

To throw more info at the OP, the new all carbon builds make the deadrise boats even skinnier. I have heard debates as to the actual necessity of a 2 deg boat, since a 12 deg rides so much better and floats almost as shallow. Maybe not true for all markets, but these are very knowledgeable guys debating....Beer may have been involved.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hull bottoms are significantly different, so I'm guessing that 2" diff could be right.

To throw more info at the OP, the new all carbon builds make the deadrise boats even skinnier. I have heard debates as to the actual necessity of a 2 deg boat, since a 12 deg rides so much better and floats almost as shallow. Maybe not true for all markets, but these are very knowledgeable guys debating....Beer may have been involved.
lol what? A 12 degree vs a 2 degree would have to have a beam of around 26 inches (a small paddleboard) to have only 2 inches difference in draft.

I’ve poled a hpxv17. If a 2 degree drafts that much it would have to be made of lead.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'd go shallower draft for the lowcountry... allows you to get in skinny creeks in winter and actually pole the high tide flats in the warmer months. Got it...you can always wade a flood tide flat, but being elevated (especially someone up on a tower) will really open up your field of view. HB Pro, Maverick HPX-S or something equivalent...Knowing how to use trim tabs properly and operate smartly when crossing big water can make up for a shallower drafting skiff. If the harbor is too bad for either of those boats, chances are you don't want to be out anyway??

·
waterman 16
297 Posts
lol what? A 12 degree vs a 2 degree would have to have a beam of around 26 inches (a small paddleboard) to have only 2 inches difference in draft.

I’ve poled a hpxv17. If a 2 degree drafts that much it would have to be made of lead.
The "degree" refers only to the deadrise at the transom, no? May be incorrect. HPXS is 17'8" and narrower than the V, I believe. Lots of differences in these 2 boats, was my point. All good.

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Ive got a Kevlar hulled hydrasport tunnel 22lts , just got rid of a flats and bay 1660 , 15° deadrise. Big boat draws less water. Flats boat came in around 1000 lbs loaded ,hydrasport closer to 4500 lbs. who knew?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
332 Posts
I always figured a "faster" tide was faster on both sides. It'll fill up quicker, but it'll dump out the same way.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts