Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone taken theres or been out on a salt marsh 1656 or shadow cast a few miles offshore? Close to pulling trigger on either of the two. Occasionally will be taking new boat out for kingfish and cobia when weather permits. Does anyone have any experience in this? Hoping to gain as much knowledge as possible before I pull that trigger.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Where is your offshore? Port Canaveral?

With this being said neither boat is offshore worthy. The salt marsh in a chop is a rough ride and the shadowcast is a small narrow boat.

I have a SM1656 and love it for the lagoon, flood tides, gator hunting etc. Have I taken it offshore, Yes to about 3-4 miles for exactly what you are talking about. I only do so when I know the wind is good and outgoing tide is not at full swing (big issue in ponce inlet). Also typically a weekday because boat wake can be tough in the inlet.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I’ve been out about 8 miles or so in my SM1656 but the conditions were ok for it. It’s not a rough water boat. Just have to be real with yourself.

·
Carpe Diem
1,806 Posts
Taking a flat water skiff offshore is not a particularly good idea although folks do it all the time. If you must try it, put the odds in your favor by getting a good weather report and spending the time to make sure you understand it. Carry means of communication including flares, smoke, mirrors, a VHF radio, etc. Carry plenty of water, shielding from the sun, and suitable foul weather gear. Make sure your boat and motor are in top condition and carry spares for parts that could fail and tools required to make repairs. Let someone reliable know where you're going and when you plan to be back. In summary, be smart and be prepared.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,936 Posts
I would have to say you really need to pick and choose your days to do the offshore thing in either skiff. If I had to pick one, I'd say the 1656 only because of the higher HP capacity which will allow you to outrun any potential storms. You'll definitely need tabs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where is your offshore? Port Canaveral?

With this being said neither boat is offshore worthy. The salt marsh in a chop is a rough ride and the shadowcast is a small narrow boat.

I have a SM1656 and love it for the lagoon, flood tides, gator hunting etc. Have I taken it offshore, Yes to about 3-4 miles for exactly what you are talking about. I only do so when I know the wind is good and outgoing tide is not at full swing (big issue in ponce inlet). Also typically a weekday because boat wake can be tough in the inlet.
I would only take it a couple miles out and would be canaveral.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts