How are guys getting back in skiff?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Megalops, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Megalops

Megalops Rex Kwan Do Dojo

Thinking about doing some scalloping Friday. No problem getting in skiff waist deep water, my concern is 6ft plus deep. I'm pretty sure I could "rocket" out of the water with fins and flounder on front deck. My concern is older and inexperienced guests. Do they make a simple rope ladder that I tie to poling platform? Any and all ideas welcome.

2. damthemainstream

damthemainstream Active Member

I've used the cavitation plate as a step on some larger outboards before.

3. Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!

If I saw anyone stepping on my cav plate I'd lose my mind...
    A rope ladder sounds like a great idea.

Backcountry 16 and Megalops like this.
  4. damthemainstream

damthemainstream Active Member

What would it hurt, in your estimation.

Megalops and Smackdaddy53 like this.
  5. mangoman

mangoman I Love microskiff.com!

I mounted the ladder bracket to the stick pin anchor plate and it is very easy to step and pull yourself out using the poling platform.

Attached Files:

6. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

Megalops likes this.
  7. makin moves

makin moves Well-Known Member

I do the one hand and leg over the side and pull and roll in. Its not pretty! It works though or go to the back corner and grab the poling platform legs and pull myself in. You have higher sides on your boat so it is alot more challenging.

Megalops likes this.
  8. Smackdaddy53

Motors aren't steps

Megalops likes this.
  9. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

On a bigger outboard it's not a big deal. On a smaller there could be a chance of damage, and the cave plate is tiny.

10. RunningOnEmpty

RunningOnEmpty I Love microskiff.com!

I've always used the cavitation plate as a step. The smallest outboard I've done this on was a 1980's johnson 15hp. Those old omc's were built pretty heavy duty though.

11. Smackdaddy53

I'm picturing someone my size (230#) stepping on my compression plate that is bolted to the cavitation plate on the lower unit. Either way I don't think the transom, tilt/trim or jackplate needs that added stress. Some of you guys that are 140 pounds soaking wet may not be that bad. I just don't think the motor is the best place part of the boat to use as a step to board the vessel. I guess I'm just being silly.

Megalops and makin moves like this.
  12. tjtfishon

tjtfishon Well-Known Member

^That

How much force do you think the motor is putting on the transom to move the boat...and that is mostly perpendicular to the transom, not straight down where all the strength would be anyway. An assist step on the cav or more likely splash plate is nowhere near your full weight. I mean you have to be pulling yourself up...it isn't possible just to step on the lower unit without some grabbing and pulling yourself onto the boat...unless you are pulling yourself up by the cowling which I still don't think would be a big deal.

13. RunningOnEmpty

I was considered skinny @ 200lbs so I'm far from a little dude.

Megalops and Smackdaddy53 like this.
  14. Smackdaddy53

This is why I have a two man skiff, one person is easier to babysit than 3-4...let me guess, you guys slam ice chest lids and step on the cushions with dirty feet too?

Megalops and fjmaverick like this.
  15. RunningOnEmpty

Sometimes I don't even wash my boat after fishing all day LOL. I'm more concerned with flushing my motor and keeping it maintained. I was a professional finisher so my boats are like a blank canvas. No matter what happens I can always make them look like new again. I actually hate taking care of gel coat because it gets stained so easily vs a high quality 2k finish like Imron or Awlgrip.

Smackdaddy53 and Megalops like this.
  16. Megalops

Megalops Rex Kwan Do Dojo

IMG_2995.JPG IMG_2996.JPG Thanks everyone. I went with this rope ladder from BPS. What do you think? Strapped to poling platform. Or do you think to front clear? Reason is my skiff squats and when I take a leak off back darn near can dunk the stern.

17. BM_Barrelcooker

BM_Barrelcooker I Love microskiff.com!

I use a foam pool float.
    It's nice to sit on in the cockpit too.

18. Battfisher

Battfisher Well-Known Member

Best option I've seen yet. I did a simple rope ladder which worked fine for me (6'3 and 180#), but not for my son who is not athletic. The rope ladder wants to swing under the boat so it takes a little core and upper body strength to use it. I think you'll see this with the BPS rope ladder.

19. westsidefly

westsidefly I Love microskiff.com!

Did EastCape do that for you?

20. lemaymiami

lemaymiami Well-Known Member

Enjoyed the various ideas then thought about what you actually face in the real world... For me the most important thing is to be able to assist someone getting back into my skiff - after they've gone over the side without intending to... I've done this a few times (usually the hard way, under bad circumstances - even late at night in a hard current...) -on one occasion with an elderly guy who could barely assist me at all...

This sort of stuff is always best at the stern of any boat where the freeboard is at its lowest point -and if you need the motor's skeg or even a trim tab (at the point where it's closest to the transom) as an assist -it's better than not being able to get back into the boat....

Once or twice over the years it's been me, solo, needing to get back into the skiff with no one around at all - and every time I've said a prayer of thanks that I wasn't injured or disabled at the time. It's enough to make you think twice about the possible hazards we face on the water...

By the way - I long ago learned to kick away from the boat if I came off the poling tower - since the motor, prop, and edges of trim tabs would tear you up in the wrong set of circumstances...