How about some shade on your flats boat?

Discussion in 'The Commercial Zone' started by RNR-Marine, Feb 24, 2010.

1. RNR-Marine

RNR-Marine Shade for Flats Boats!

RNR-Marine has completed its patent application for 3 versions of its Flats-Top for flats boats. We have 3 versions: 2 that mount to the poling platform, and 1 that goes on the console. Each design provides:
    • shade for two people seated at the console,
    • ability to stand at wheel to sight for fish,
    • use of console mounted rod holders,
    • stability at high speed (75mph),
    • easy removed (pull a couple of quick release pins),
    • 316 stainless steel tubing and fittings.
    We can't produce all 3, so we need to know what works for you! Please check it out, and take our Flats-Top Survey for a $25 discount coupon (usable anytime in the future) at http://Flats-Top.com

Full video: http://YouTube.Flats-Top.com

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking, Captain Ross
    RNR-Marine, Inc.
    636G Long Point Road, #39
    Charleston, SC 29464
    877-T-TOPLESS
    Sales@RNR-Marine.com

2. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

Please read before posting.

3. RNR-Marine

Several people have asked about the price of the Flats-Top, which will range from $500 to $600 (including shipping), depending on model and options.

Thanks, Captain Ross

4. RNR-Marine

We did some fitting of our 2nd prototype to a Hell's Bay Guide 18, with good feedback.

Looks like we'll have 3 heights (level with the poling platform, +4" & +8") for the poling-platform-mounted Flats-Top.

The console-mounted Flats-Top will be offer in short (60") and tall (76") height and can be shortened from there for custom heights.

Both will be 30" long x 36" wide coverage, and remove in <30 seconds.

5. natez

natez I Love microskiff.com!

That thing is 5 or 600 bucks! ;D WoW.Anybody buying those?

6. RNR-Marine

Here's our prototype platform-mounted Flats-Top on a Hell's Bay Guide 18 ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Rear and Front Mounts mount through poling platform deck.
    Set Screws on Rear Mounts can be replaced with quick-release pins for easy removability.

http://rnr-marine.com/Flats-Top.shtml#Prototype

It looks like we'll have 2 heights (Short and Tall). This prototype's height is halfway between these 2 heights. The Hell's Bay Guide 18 and Hewes 16 have a fairly low poling platform (33" height on the Guide 18) and will require a Tall Flats-Top. Boats with taller platforms like the Hewes 18 and Action Craft will use a Short Flats-Top (little or no rise built-in).

Please vote in our Flats-Top Survey (http://Flats-Top.com) and get a $25 discount coupon. We really do appreciate your input!

7. makin moves

makin moves Well-Known Member

5 bucks - poor mans shade -priceless

8. acme2000020000

acme2000020000 I Love microskiff.com!

Thats one expensive umbrella...

9. RNR-Marine

We're looking at including SeaDek (http://Seadek.com) material for the top of the poling platform with outrPlatform-Mounted Flats-Top http://Flats-Top.com. What's everyone's experience with SeaDek? It really looks good, several colors and thicknesses (3mm and 5mm), and cushions your feet on the platform.
    ::)
    Gordon/Hell's Bay offers a similar pad on their boats - and the owners we've talked to love it - non-skid and "cushiony" ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

SeaDek gets 2 thumbs up from me! [smiley=1-thumbsup1.gif]

11. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

And me!

12. RNR-Marine

13. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

Problem I see here which may limit your sales is, especially on a flats boat, you need to be able to stand up when running. Running shallow water you gotta be able to stand quickly at times to make sure you aren't coming up on a bar or something.

14. mudd_minnow

mudd_minnow BE THE LURE

This is a great Idea. It's priced a little high for me but I still think it is a great Idea. If the price was around 300 or so, it might be a good seller but for 500 or 600 for 2 bent poles and some canvis.....Not knocking the product. I think this is a great product.
    Mudd Minnow

15. RNR-Marine

Its designed to allow you to stand up ... Hewes Redfisher 16 example:
    [​IMG]

You can also lean against it when standing on the rear, side decks:
    [​IMG]

16. RNR-Marine

Thanks Mudd! We like it (and our clients love the shade). Just to be clear, the Flats-Top frame is actually a single piece of 316L surgical stainless steel tubing which is formed with our programmable CNC tube bender. The canvas is top of the line Sunbrella, with a 10-year fabric warranty, and the top mounts under the poling platform with a pair of polished, cast 316 stainless steel brackets and a pair of rail mounts in front that really look nice.

Thanks for looking! This top looks great on Hewes, Action Craft, Hell Bay and Egrets so far ...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. mudd_minnow

mudd_minnow BE THE LURE

I'm sorry if it sounded like I was trashing the product when I said " but for 500 or 600 for 2 bent poles and some canvis" That was not what I was meaning. The construction sounds very durable and strong. I think this would be a great option for guys like me trying to stay out of the sun. I do have several questions:
    1. Could you make this retract underneath the polling platform instead of removing it or at least a custom option?
    (This way you could make it longer to produce more shade over the the cocpit while sitting.)
    Also. when you wanted to stand up it could be retracted out of the way.
    2. With other polling platforms, there is never enouph room to safely move around on the platform but if you could make it strong enouph where someone could stand on top of it to poll and fish from, this would be a great option as well.

I understand that it was made for something simple (I really like what your doing please don't get me wrong, but we as flats fishermen don't have a lot of options. I think this might be obtainable option for the small guys like me.

Mudd Minnow

18. RNR-Marine

Mudd,

No offense taken - we really appreciate the input!

We've had many ask for an option to fold it out of the way, or remove it quickly and fold in half to fit in a locker. We actually have a 2nd patent in process for a folding model, but haven't built a prototype as yet. We need to build some prototypes and test them! Many of these boats have so little room under the platform, that it might be tough to come up with something that would fold under there and not have the engine hit it. One option (covered by our patent) is to simply fold it down so its in front of the motor. Does that make sense? Would it work for you?

I know what you mean - many of these platforms are pretty small. We haven't considered make a Flats-Top you could walk on, but its an interesting thought. Not sure we could cantilever it out over the seat/deck, but its worth a look.
    • What boat do you have?
      How big is it's platform?
      Do you have a leaning post on there?
    We'd love to come up with something sturdy to give you some shade ...

19. mudd_minnow

mudd_minnow BE THE LURE

I'm in the process of building 2 different flats boats. 1 is a 14 ft Mitchell and the other is a 1967 Skeeter boat. I've had to stop my builds because I've moved from Orlando to Miami. Not my choice but the money was better. I can't wait to see pics of your designs. Looking forward 2 that.
    Mudd Minnow

20. RNR-Marine

Same here - love to see pix of your 2 projects.

1967 Skeeter - was that the 1st "pad" boat? My father's best fishing buddy bought one way back then - it was much faster than our new 1971 Astroglass cathedral hull bass boat with Merc 65 (43mph).