Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might be making the move next year. Coming from south Florida, primarily fishing biscayne bay and the Florida keys how’s the fishing up that way? Any good areas to live/stay away from. Would like to live outside the city but, not far from the water. Looking for somewhere with 1 acre + lots. Thanks for any feed back

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will live 45 minutes from the water or amongst single wide trailers with cars on jack stands.

Or you can buy in a new development near the water and buy 8 lots.
Lol!!!, not what I was hoping for. 45 minutes is a little far. I’m about 15 minutes from the marina now and it’s about perfect. I’ll be heading up that way for a week, next month to check out some of the surrounding areas.

·
Brandon, FL
9,963 Posts
Lol!!!, not what I was hoping for. 45 minutes is a little far. I’m about 15 minutes from the marina now and it’s about perfect. I’ll be heading up that way for a week, next month to check out some of the surrounding areas.
You can get closer to the water but you will be further from town and most of the inhabitants don't speak mucho engrish.

·
Brandon, FL
9,963 Posts
Where are you going to be looking?

I have a good friend who is a realtor if you need one.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Busy city, traffic is a nightmare, crime is no better than Miami.
Fishing is good the bay is huge mostly bay boats there rigged with hard t-tops and secondary control stations up top. To get offshore 24 miles out is still 85-90 feet another 5 miles to 100 feet, so its mostly bottom fishing. Lots of Kingfishing out around the Skyway Bridge.

Living accomadations depends on where you have to work, if you have ot go into Tampa to work forget 1 acre lots, but upi can be relatively close to the water...
My son lives in what's called South Tampa a couple blocks from the bay, (across the street from the big $$ houses on a canal with direct bay access with about a one block ride), not an inexpensive neighborhood FitzPatrick lives down the street. He trailers his 25 Pathy to either one of two ramps either is about a 20 minute drive during non traffic hours, traffic hours forget it. You can keep a boat in the yard or driveway in most places. His neighbor hood is one where people buy 50 year old houses do a tear down and build noe going 2 or 3 floors cause the lots are not that big.
My sister lives about 20 minutes away with a house on the Hilsbourough river, very old but not inexpensive another neighbor hood where they ar ebuying up all the older homes like hers doing a tear down and rebuild new.. The ride is a good half hour to the bay by boat, which she keeps on a lift, then its a long ride across the bay.

If I was moving there, and did not have to drive into Tampa.. I'd look in St. Pete or Clearwater areas.. or out of Tampa alltogether and look in Bradenton area.

·
BBA Counselor
6,857 Posts
A 1 acre lot in Tampa is a pipe dream, unless you are buying away from the water or have a few million to spend. To be honest, coming from biscayne and the keys you will be disappointed in the fishing here. The only thing I miss about living in South Florida is the fishing, its just not the same as Tampa Bay has a ton of pressure on it.

Why are you moving? Does it have to be tampa?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately I have to work around a big city, so besides Miami, my only options here in Florida are Orlando and Tampa and I’m not a fan of Orlando, plus that’s too far away from the water. Would probably be fishing the Tampa Bay Area or whatever other inshore areas there are up that way. Had offshore boats my whole life and just recently sold my last one to pick up a new maverick. Trying to get out of Miami due to its overcrowding. I currently live south of Miami, in homestead which technically is only about 45 minutes away but, with the traffic, it’s about an 1:15 minutes to work and sometimes up to 2:30 minutes to get home. On the weekends you could be looking close to 3 hr wait to get your boat in the water with all the people and new restrictions and that’s only if you get in the line by 4:30-5:00 am. Other than that , the marina will be closed down by 8:00 for too many people. Do not plan on living in the city but close enough where the drive isn’t too crazy. Haven’t been up that way in years and never fished over there. Going up next moth to check out the area. Miami has changed quite a bit in the past 10 years. It’s insane the amount of people we have down here.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am about 45 minutes from Gandy boat ramp, I live on 1.25 acres not one trailer within 5 miles of me and I trailer down every time I fish, been doing it for years

My two ramps of choice are Gandy and EG Simmons (1hr 15 mins to EG)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am about 45 minutes from Gandy boat ramp, I live on 1.25 acres not one trailer within 5 miles of me and I trailer down every time I fish, been doing it for years

My two ramps of choice are Gandy and EG Simmons (1hr 15 mins to EG)
Nice!!! What area would this be?
Thanks

·
Registered
118 Posts
Spring Hill, moved up here to get away from over populated Pinellas County I figured if I can drive 40 minutes to work I can do the same or a little more to fish

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't know how close you need to be to Tampa, but you may want to look at Northern Manatee County, you can still find acreage/big lots and take the interstate to town. There are three or four guys in my firm that live in Tampa/St. Pete and do it everyday, 25-40 min drive. We have some pretty good fishing on the South side of Tampa bay and also in Sarasota bay. Tarpon fishing can be some of the best around off Anna Maria and Egmont. As others have said we all know Realtors that could help you. My family came to MC in 1900 and I know the area well if you need my help.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,383 Posts
I don't know how close you need to be to Tampa, but you may want to look at Northern Manatee County, you can still find acreage/big lots and take the interstate to town. There are three or four guys in my firm that live in Tampa/St. Pete and do it everyday, 25-40 min drive. We have some pretty good fishing on the South side of Tampa bay and also in Sarasota bay. Tarpon fishing can be some of the best around off Anna Maria and Egmont. As others have said we all know Realtors that could help you. My family came to MC in 1900 and I know the area well if you need my help.
I live down this way too and I agree, we have it better than the Tampa boys! I live across the Manatee River from you but fish your area too.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts