Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people of Micro skiff. I am looking for a good intro skiff to get started I am looking for some advice.

My name is Mason James and I am a 22 year old college grad that can't go 10 minutes without thinking about fly fishing in some capacity. I really wanna get a micro skiff to take down to the coast but I am also about to be married.

Best, Mason James
237 Outdoors

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hello people of Micro skiff. I am looking for a good intro skiff to get started I am looking for some advice.

My name is Mason James and I am a 22 year old college grad that can't go 10 minutes without thinking about fly fishing in some capacity. I really wanna get a micro skiff to take down to the coast but I am also about to be married.

Best, Mason James
237 Outdoors
Welcome, I live just north of The Woodlands. I've got my first boat on order through East Cape. It'll be a race to see which comes first...boat delivery or my 15 year anniversary, so you're doing better than I was when I got married. Best of luck in your search.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I really wanna get a micro skiff to take down to the coast but I am also about to be married.
You can either afford a skiff or your can't. Funny how wives aren't worried about how much their engagement rings cost or how much is spent on the wedding. If you got the cash then buy the boat and if she gives you any shit about it tell her to kick rocks.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Get the skiff you want with no regrets. She will either be ok with that or it wasn't meant to be. Current U.S. population is roughly 358 million with around half of that being women. So you have somewhere around 174-ish million women in the country from which to choose. How many side console tunnel Whiprays are there in the country? I'm just sayin...

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Or get involved in local groups and make contacts who have skiffs. For years when I had my skiffs I had three to four good friends that didn't have skiffs but knew how to pole and loved fly fishing as much as I did. So one of them got to go every time I went and they never had to buy skiffs. We'd switch out tow vehicles every once in a while and they would offer to pay gas etc.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Or get involved in local groups and make contacts who have skiffs. For years when I had my skiffs I had three to four good friends that didn't have skiffs but knew how to pole and loved fly fishing as much as I did. So one of them got to go every time I went and they never had to buy skiffs. We'd switch out tow vehicles every once in a while and they would offer to pay gas etc.
Yea good idea, I'm only a half hour north of Houston. PM me your # and we'll set up some trips when my boat gets finished. I'll need someone to push me around lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know getting a first hand look at micros in Houston is hard. i live in Friendswood so if you want to see or ride in one, I have a IPB / Skimmer 14. When I ordered my hull to build out myself i had personally never seen one or been in a boat that small. Smallest boat i had been in was a 20ft bass boat or 22ft plus bay boats.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Welcome. Have a look at the Ankon/Salt Marsh 1444. Great entry level skiff for fly fishing that won't break the bank.

Reactions: KurtActual

·
Registered
Just livin’ my life easy come easy go...
721 Posts
Get a boat, and always have a boat. Same with a truck.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Your question should be what does she do for a living and how much of her salary is going towards the skiff? I bet all of your money is going to rent/mortgage, food, bills, etc. Better have those conversations early and ensure you're on the same page not matter what page that is.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts