Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
It sucks but it’s not as bad as the media makes it out to be. I’m more concerned with the multiple known superfund sites in the area.

For the record... Every plant up and down that channel goes into the channel at some point. He’ll Harvey flooded up into most, if not all, of them.

·
"This one time at band camp..."
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just because it has happened previously or by storms should not be the status quo for that areas and surrounding bays future, yes that water has some serious issues but spill's like this are still serious and causing damage to the surrounding waters, in my opinion.
I had noticed a definite vibe of complacency or maybe more like apathy from the replies.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I had noticed a definite vibe of complacency or maybe more like apathy from the replies.

Definitely a two edged sword. Lots of folks with good paying jobs working for all the petro chem industry up and down the Texas coast. Most of the big international corporations have to have their environmental act together, but I would surmise to say there are lots of smaller operations that aren't as stringent. Add a bunch of those together and yeah, it ain't nice.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,142 Posts
I use to sample groundwater at some of those places along the ship channel, I also had groundwater monitoring wells within 100’ of the water that I had to do Light non aqueous petroleum liquid (LnapL) pumping at where I would pump of gasoline type liquids out of the wells, and see the test results of the sampling so my view is probably a little more dim than what the average joe on the street see’s.

I use to live in the area and fish all over the Galveston bay complex so it’s sad to see any type of chemical release into our waterways.

As sublime mentioned it can be double edged for folks who live and work in these plants. I really like my friends having jobs but I also really like having clean water. We can do better if it is a priority for these companies, granted accidents do and will happen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts