Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever been out to Horn Island Ms in a Gheenoe? Or any other gulf island? I have been camping on Horn Island six times, mostly kayaking but I also sailed my hobie getaway to it once. I just recently got an LT25 with a brand new Yamaha 25 on it and I think it's totally safe if you are careful to cross under good conditions. Any opinions or insight would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have lived on and boated the the MS coast most of my life. I have also owned a Gheenoe and a Riverhawk. There is no way I'd try that trip in a Gheenoe. It wouldn't take much of a weather change at all to change it from an easy trip to a treacherous trip. Heck, I launched from St Martin and went across the Biloxi Back Bay into Davis Bayou in my Riverhawk. The wind picked up to 15-20 and the 2 mile trip back across open water was unnerving. The boat took on a lot of a lot of water.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
30 Posts
I’ve made the crossing in my Gladesmen from the Lake Mars ramp and Graveline Bayou. Pick your days carefully!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Made the trip once. Will never do it again. Mainly because I wasted a whole day fighting the wind, rain, and tide to catch some “Gator Trout”. I usually stay around Davis Bayou or Graveline. If the weathers good I’ve been trying to work Biloxi Back Bay. Would be nice to fish with some other MicroSkiff owners. Havent seen another Gheenoe on water yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
There are a few that do run in slop and say Yes ;-(

Me I say "Don't do it Indy"

I have done Tampa Bay in an 18" chop and the "Pucker Factor" is enormous !!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts