Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas,

So I've begun my research for a honeymoon, likely to be sometime in the Spring/early summer of 2018. (yes, my fiancée is ALL about going to a fly fishing lodge/destination to primarily fly fish for the entirety - don't know how I got so lucky..that's another story.)

Anyhow, I'm looking for any inputs on destinations you've enjoyed. Here's kinda the baseline criteria:

- Want to go somewhere where the primary target species is "big" tarpon; by that I mean non-juvenile.
- Accommodations/amenities are a definite plus, but by no means a deal-breaker. By that I mean, we would prefer to sacrifice amenities for better fishing.
- Cost: no more than $10k not including airfare - i.e. we won't be going to Seychelles I'm afraid.
- She has expressed interest already in Belize, so that would be an easy sell.
- I've already perused YellowDog's "couples trips" for some starting points, so looking beyond those destinations, if able, or strong recommendations for one of those on the list if applicable.
- **Please include a best time of year for the target species (Tarpon) for the destinations in your responses

Hopefully this thread can be used as a resource for other guys in the same boat - maybe not necessarily all for honeymoons, but for couples trips when she won't let you go fly fish on your own or with buddies.

Thank you in advance for your inputs!

Best,
Tyler

·
Registered
70 Posts
If u want big tarpon Everglades and keys during spring/summer. Another possibility is also Belize or Veracruz Mexico in summer(July/august). The panhandle is also a great spot for big fish from June through august. Costa Rica on the Caribbean side but that's all blind casting dirty deep water for the most part. Nicaragua has great river fishing for big fish also,but again a lot of blind casting to rollers.

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,548 Posts
Although they do cruise through in the spring, Belize would not be my top choice for big tarpon. Resident mid-size to juveniles, bonefish galore and reasonable shots at permit. Turneffe Island Lodge is a nice operation with good amenities.

Cheeca Lodge in Islamorada, Big Pine or Key West would work for late spring. Plenty of time to book some great guides for daily trips.

And as Mingo mentioned, the FL Panhandle definitely works through the summer months. Check out the Gibson Inn in Apalachicola or a couple of the B&Bs and book trips with Capt. Chris Robinson or Capt. Anthony Stone through www.flaredfish.com

Sounds like a fun trip with your new bride. Congrats on your upcoming nuptials!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your responses, guys. Just to be clear: we're definitely not handcuffed to the spring - I'd much rather book the dates around the best time to chase big tarpon. With that said, would you consider holding out to do a summer gig in Belize, or are you saying do a Florida trip over Belize for the larger poons?

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,548 Posts
Others may have a different experience but I've fished Belize twice and the only big tarpon I encountered was about an 80-pounder on spin and a DOA BaitBuster. Had shots at smaller fish on fly.

Another option would be Siesta Key/Sarasota in early summer with Capt. Rick Grassett. If you have your hearts set on big tarpon, Florida would offer the best opportunities.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Thanks for your responses, guys. Just to be clear: we're definitely not handcuffed to the spring - I'd much rather book the dates around the best time to chase big tarpon. With that said, would you consider holding out to do a summer gig in Belize, or are you saying do a Florida trip over Belize for the larger poons?
Florida will give you the best opportunity at a big Tarpon on fly or any tackle for that matter. Spring and early summer are prime months. If you find your self in the keys between key largo and Marathon. Give me a shout, would love to take you and the wife out after your big Tarpon!

Alonzo

·
'01 17'8 Whipray
178 Posts
Florida will give you the best opportunity at a big Tarpon on fly or any tackle for that matter. Spring and early summer are prime months. If you find your self in the keys between key largo and Marathon. Give me a shout, would love to take you and the wife out after your big Tarpon!

Alonzo
Alonzo can hook you up for sure. The Keys, and Upper Keys for that matter is the place to be. Weather can be a concern for a day or two, so book 5-7 days and you will have some good weather for sure. I would be disappointed to not average a fish a day on his boat. Notice I said "average", this is due to weather. I'll also point out that wind is your friend as a slick calm day can be VERY difficult to feed them.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Alonzo
Thanks, Capt. Just followed your instagram feed - I've got the same username on there. Will definitely let you know if we decide something in that area for our trip.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Thanks, Capt. Just followed your instagram feed - I've got the same username on there. Will definitely let you know if we decide something in that area for our trip.
Awesome looking forward to it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts