Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Ankona Shadowcast 16
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking up my new-to-me Shadowcast 16 next Monday and headed to Flamingo Feb 18-21!
I. AM. FRICKEN. EXCITED.
Fishing one day with Capt Ryan Accursio and then adventuring on my own for the rest of the week.

Curious on any rec's for lodging in Homestead area? I will need some wi-fi to work at night and I'm on Verizon for cell phone.
I see very few options on Air BnB so thinking hotel may be best option.

Worried about somebody trying to snag my push pole off the boat in hotel parking lot. Is that silly or a valid concern?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Dan from Colorado

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
I would not leave anything of value not locked down in the homestead more so FL city area
Pretty much like that everywhere now a days. Only reason I use full size 3/4 ton vans is because your "stuff" is slightly more secure out of sight.

·
Registered
Ankona Shadowcast 16
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Fellas,

I'm gonna go with a tent in Flamingo for a night and then a funky school bus hippy commune lookin' place near Homestead for wi-fi access. Psyched.
Hoping to fool my first (and then second, third, fourth...) snook on a fly.

Any online forecast apps you'd recommend for checking the wind besides a basic weather app?

thx again

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
If you send me an email to [email protected] I have a list of the places my anglers have stayed in the Homestead / Florida City area with phone numbers etc... The first place I recommend is the Best Western since they have have patrolling security there all night long... and it's an easy in and out with a boat...

If that "funky school bus place" you're talking about is the youth hostel in Florida City... you might just be getting into a lot more adventure than you're looking for....

Wherever you stay leave nothing visible in your car (stuff you want to keep goes into your trunk...) and never ever leave anything of value on a trailered skiff... Wherever you are if you see any kids on crazy looking home-made motorcycles, scooters, four wheelers, etc. be very careful around them... They make the Hells Angels look like old men.... Another of those "ask me how I know" moments I'm afraid.

Aren't boats fun?

·
Registered
Ankona Shadowcast 16
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you send me an email to [email protected] I have a list of the places my anglers have stayed in the Homestead / Florida City area with phone numbers etc... The first place I recommend is the Best Western since they have have patrolling security there all night long... and it's an easy in and out with a boat...

If that "funky school bus place" you're talking about is the youth hostel in Florida City... you might just be getting into a lot more adventure than you're looking for....

Wherever you stay leave nothing visible in your car (stuff you want to keep goes into your trunk...) and never ever leave anything of value on a trailered skiff... Wherever you are if you see any kids on crazy looking home-made motorcycles, scooters, four wheelers, etc. be very careful around them... They make the Hells Angels look like old men.... Another of those "ask me how I know" moments I'm afraid.

Aren't boats fun?
Thanks for the tips and the laughs. Not at the hostel... I saw that one and opted to pass on it.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
That tip about fine young men on motors was all too accurate. There’s an article in today’s Miami Herald about a shooting incident in south Dade (four shot in a drive-by, three in the head...). Whoever that fine young man was.... he was riding on a four wheel ATV.

Be careful down there... I’m towing through Florida City twice a day (like every guide that fishes Flamingo...) and had a run-in with a few of them about five weeks ago on a Sunday afternoon... While I was stopped in traffic at a light one of them deliberately smashed my driver’s side mirror as he rode by. Since I’m also a retired cop I was smart enough not to go after him....

·
Registered
548 Posts
Travel Lodge in Florida City is very safe. 3 of us trailer our boats there twice a year for the last 5 years and never had issues. Push Poles & trolling motors go in your room overnight.
Call Vanessa or Sunny at the front desk and tell them you are bringing a boat.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,796 Posts
I've stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott near the hospital several times. It is very nice and the GM is awesome. They let me put the push pole in the lobby behind the front desk and there is a security patrol 24/7. The GM asked him to make sure he kept an eye on my skiff over night. Still, like Bob said, I would not leave anything really valuable on the boat over night.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
382 Posts
Doesn't the Park offer lodging in Flamingo?

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you bring your own camper or tent. Now they have Yurts you can rent, its still a tent though with a hike to the shower. Last option is to rent their houseboat. No “lodging” outside those options..

·
Registered
910 Posts
Picking up my new-to-me Shadowcast 16 next Monday and headed to Flamingo Feb 18-21!
I. AM. FRICKEN. EXCITED.
Fishing one day with Capt Ryan Accursio and then adventuring on my own for the rest of the week.

Curious on any rec's for lodging in Homestead area? I will need some wi-fi to work at night and I'm on Verizon for cell phone.
I see very few options on Air BnB so thinking hotel may be best option.

Worried about somebody trying to snag my push pole off the boat in hotel parking lot. Is that silly or a valid concern?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Dan from Colorado
For the record I stay in Florida City and Homestead quite a bit and I leave everything in my boat because Im careless. Nothing has been taken. I usually park under a light by the front of the hotel. I also slept in the Flamingo parking lot one night and no one said anything.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
All of the facilities were wiped out down at Flamingo in 2005... They restored the marina store, the campgrounds, but never replaced the motel, the cabins, or the restaurant...

In recent years the concessionaire has been doing quite a bit to improve things - bringing in new houseboats, yurts, etc. I’ve been told that they’re also planning on bringing back cabins as well, something I’m looking forward to.

Until then the nearest motels are fifty miles away in Florida City and Homestead...

That's why I go out of my way to assist folks planning a trip down to Flamingo (nothing like a little self interest....). All of the guides that work out of Flamingo have had their business hurt a bit by the fact that they never re-built the place - and that was after we went to meetings off and on for about two years working up the "restoration"... The National Park Service simply decided not to do much of anything....

·
Registered
184 Posts
5F4CCFA2-F2FB-4B15-9BEF-D0EC3171DEF0.jpeg

I was just out to the park. Saw this area being cleared and mulched. It’s just before the eco tent area. Talked to the volunteer at the visitors center to see if I can find out the time line. He said that he wasn’t sure, but he thought that they were going to be modular units. So it should happen “relatively “ quick.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I heard (or read) somewhere that those Flamingo yurt thingies had the large mesh mosquito screens and did not keep out no-seeums. Not sure how accurate that info is....but something to ask about.

Also of note....there is no place at Flamingo where you can flush your motor with fresh water that I’m aware of. I’ve used the water at the campground dump station for years....but this year one of the elderly female “Flamingo Adventures” employees almost blew a gasket when she saw me.....yelling “$5000 dollar fine by the Park Service if they catch you.” She said something about the salt water polluting the ground water. I may have been totally in the wrong....but polluting ground water with a minute amount of diluted salt water seemed a bit far-fetched. I could throw a rock and hit the bay from the dump station.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts