Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the answer to this question is going to have a lot of variables... but here goes: I just finished my first boat build, a 14' Spira Chalmette. It has top end hardware and casting decks fore and aft. I have all the pics to document the build. I'm not desperate to sell it, but I just can't find a used trailer or reasonable motor for it. I own a 21' Boston Whaler and that boat is better for my family so this boat will sit all winter up here, not getting wet unless I can source a good used motor. I plan to use the funds from the sale to try my hand at stitch and glue (Salt River Boatworks 15 maybe) or the Spear Skiff Kit. Thanks for the help!

·
BBA Counselor
6,918 Posts
While its a fine looking skiff and I'm sure you built it well, I wouldn't expect much. I'm a fellow builder on my 4th project, and I only expect to get maybe 30-50% of base material cost back for the hulls. Truth is you will get many compliments and questions at the boat ramp, but not many out there want to own a plywood boat built by some guy who isn't associated with a manufacturer.
That said, I'd expect between $500-800 for the hull alone.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
600 Posts
Unfortunately firecat is correct, manufacturers have been pushing the wood = bad memo for quite some time now. Very few people are aware of the benefits, even with marine plywood and epoxy.

That‘s actually beneficial for me, as I won’t be forced to sell my boat to fund another house or something in the future.

A boat that size should dry launch easily, I’d just go buy one of the harbor freight or northern trailers and then extend the tongue with some heavy wall box tubing. No welding required.

A 12v trolling motor should propel that boat surprisingly well in protected waters, but there are plenty of 10 horse outboards down here in FL in the $500-$800 range. I’d imagine there will be some deals to be had before Christmas. Might be worth a road trip.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know the answer to this question is going to have a lot of variables... but here goes: I just finished my first boat build, a 14' Spira Chalmette. It has top end hardware and casting decks fore and aft. I have all the pics to document the build. I'm not desperate to sell it, but I just can't find a used trailer or reasonable motor for it. I own a 21' Boston Whaler and that boat is better for my family so this boat will sit all winter up here, not getting wet unless I can source a good used motor. I plan to use the funds from the sale to try my hand at stitch and glue (Salt River Boatworks 15 maybe) or the Spear Skiff Kit. Thanks for the help! View attachment 160593 View attachment 160594 View attachment 160595 View attachment 160596 View attachment 160597 View attachment 160598 View attachment 160599 View attachment 160600
Where are you located? This might be just the type of boat I'm looking for and that I might possibly be able to afford. Thank you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts