Home made Trim Tabs

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by bw77, Apr 8, 2009.

1. bw77

bw77 I Love microskiff.com!

I made a set of adjustable trim tabs for the Riverhawk. I haven't water tested them yet but they look like they'll work pretty well. Hopefully they will help get the bow down and the boat on plane easier with just me in it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

They look good! Are those pad eyes you used on the rod ends and transom through bolted pretty good? I'm not sure but I think there is some pretty good stresses on that area but they are pushing up not away/down.

If you leave them adjusted like that, they will certainly drive the bow down, prolly more than you need! :eek: Plus they may raise the stern so much you might have cavitation problems. Testing will tell for sure, but you'll probably be suprised at how much change that angle will make. Give it a go!

If you use a round head or truss head machine screw and put the nut up top there will be a much "cleaner" surface on the underside of the tab for the water to flow better. I'm really not sure as I've never tried it, but it looks like using those hex head bolts could cause some pretty good water drag/disturbance.  

Good job and let us know the results!!

3. aaronshore

aaronshore Well-Known Member

Nice job indeed. I agree with Tom. Swap those bolts out with something with a flatter head. Might not change much, but it definitely wouldnt hurt.

4. bw77

Everything is thru bolted and backed with large washers. The hinges are bolted and backed with an aluminum backing plate. The hex bolts I don't think will really matter, were talking about a 4 hp motor here, It's not exactly a speed boat. I will probably raise the angle up some more before I test them out, there is enough adjustment to lift them all the way to an upward angle if need be. Thats why I made them adjustable so if I take a passenger in front I can raise them up as not to plow the bow. I built the tabs because this boat will not plane with just me in the back, when I go by myself I can lower them down just enough to plane

5. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Gotcha. 4hp ain't gonna test the structural integrity for sure, I automatically assumed you'd be cooking along with a larger motor.

I'd like to hear from you once you get to test them, as I bet they'd make a big enough difference even with the 4hp to get you up on plane.

-T

6. bw77

I think they'll work out just fine. It is only a 13 foot Riverhawk we're talking about. I will report after I get home from fishing tomorrow.

7. marshman

marshman just try to follow me....i dare ya...

they look great..as mentioned, i think you will find they are set too much "down", but you should be able to figure that out on your own....

8. twentythree

twentythree Well-Known Member