Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well for some reason I’m getting back into making my own leaders. I’m using Chicos formula of about 5 foot for the butt section, then 3 foot for the midsection and then bite tippet. Anyone try 50 big game, followed by 30 big game and then Seaguar fluorocarbon for tippet? Using a snell/nail for leader to fly line.
Matt

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
48” 40# PLine CXX, 36” 30# PLine, 24” 20# Seaguar Red Label with uni to uni transition knots are what I have been using but I’m just a cave man.
I am a big fan of Trilene Big Game mono for my inshore conventional leader on braid but the PLine CXX has less memory and is just about as strong IMO.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,503 Posts
I've been told to try and match the butt section thickness to the fly line so it transfers energy better. But beyond that I use the Chico Fernandez formula as well. I use a tie fast tool for the knots connecting the sections and a perfection loop/loop connection to switch out tippets quickly.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,216 Posts
I use similar formula for my tarpon leaders. 50lb mono butt section connected to 20lb with Slim beauty. Then my bite tippet of 30lb or 40lb flouro, with blood knot. I use perfection loop but noticed that with softer mono(big game) it breaks.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
I use similar formula for my tarpon leaders. 50lb mono butt section connected to 20lb with Slim beauty. Then my tippet of 30lb or 40lb flouro, with blood knot. I use perfection loop but noticed that with softer mono(big game) it breaks.
Why 20# then a heavier tippet?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I like Chico's formula, but I match stiffness of the leader butt material to the stiffness of the fly line instead of diameter. If you loop/tie them together hold both on either side and bend. It should be a nice smooth bend, not the fly line bending more or the leader material bending more. Every leader material and fly line is different.
30lb-40lb maxima for most 8 weight saltwater lines.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,503 Posts
Why 20# then a heavier tippet
We sometimes need bite tippets for big snook around structure, especially in SWFL.

I stuck an upper 20s snook during the SWC Classic on a 16# redfish tippet. She broke me off before I could get her on the reel and slow play her because of her abrasive mouth.

6" of 20-30# bite tippet may have been a game changer.

Reactions: Fishtex

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,216 Posts
Why 20# then a heavier tippet?
For tarpon I like the 20lb so I can break fish off if need be(shark/bridge). I’d rather lose a fish then risk losing $100 fly line to a bridge. I use 30 or 40 for bite tippet for tarpon. I have no idea what leaders these are for, I just automatically thought tarpon.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
For tarpon I like the 20lb so I can break fish off if need be(shark/bridge). I’d rather lose a fish then risk losing $100 fly line to a bridge. I use 30 or 40 for bite tippet for tarpon. I have no idea what leaders these are for, I just automatically thought tarpon.
Makes sense, just an honest question. A poon tail is something special, 50# up top might be better.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I stopped using the loop to loop for the tippet as I could not get the fly to track straight when I was using it, although I am sure I must have been doing something wrong, as usual...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,503 Posts
I stopped using the loop to loop for the tippet as I could not get the fly to track straight when I was using it, although I am sure I must have been doing something wrong, as usual...
Yeah...small loops and make sure they are threaded so there isn't a kink there that puts a "curve" in the connection.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts