Home Brew Wiring

Discussion in 'Power it up with Electronics' started by iMacattack, Dec 1, 2008.

1. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

Do you crimp, shrink tube, solder... How do you wire?

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Yes, to all.
    Depends on location of connection needed.
    Terminal block - crimp connects
    Bilge or wet locations - silver no acid solder, heat shrink, silicon sealant

3. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

sorry should have added duct tape and prayers too... ;)

4. brew1891

brew1891 Well-Known Member

I like the crimp connectors with heat shrink adhesive built in...solid connection that is sealed.

For my trolling motor to battery connections I used the closed end crimp lugs and covered them with heat shrink tubing with adhesive.

5. Un-shore

Un-shore Well-Known Member

Twist-and-Pray :D

Actually, Prefer solder with heat shrink for permanent fixtures, crimp mostly though. I like the heat shrink crimps too. dialectric grease on all connections.

6. pescador72

pescador72 Well-Known Member

Heat shrink crimp everything.

7. Kemo

Kemo The world is flat....and shallow.

Solder everything.  I grew up with this mandate from my Dad.  Use Rosin core, NOT acid core.

Got this off the web:

Rosin core solder contains rosin, which is usually a purified pine tree sap, as a fluxing agent. The flux can be inactive, in which case it simply covers the area being soldered during the process (to keep oxides from forming), active or mildly active , in which case it will remove light-to-medium oxides that were present before the soldering process began, or highly active, which will remove almost any oxide or stain on the part and allow a good solder joint to be made.

Kemo   :cool:

8. Gramps

Gramps Living &amp; Dying in 3/4 Time

Crimp & Glue Lined Heat Shrink. Solder connections are not ideal in boats. You create a solid section connected to a flexible section. Over time this can create stress & break at the solder connection.

Just my $.02.

9. tailchaser

tailchaser Well-Known Member

Solder, and heat shrink only.... I solder everything, even up to the speaker wires..  I've had my share of nav lights flickering, and b.s. not working.. And, i'm cheap as hell... It takes a little longer to solder, but much cheaper, and you always have a solid connection..

10. Unclebob

Unclebob Well-Known Member

Normally I would say solder and heat-shrink everything, and silicone. However, I've been on an SKA Fishing team for the past 3 years, and since I was the one with a degree in electronics engineering, I was tasked with keeping everything working. We've went through dozens of pumps in single year..

I've had to rig up some stuff during a tounament to keep things running, and discovered something kinda cool, you may want to try if you're in a pinch. I ran out of crimps one day and only had heat-shrink and 5200. I twisted the wires together, slathered them in 5200, and ran the shrink over it. Those connections have faired better than the crimped/shrinked ones. They are most assuredly watertight, since the heat shrink pushes the 5200 out and creates a pretty good cocoon.

It's not a very strong connection, but one that will not fail due to corrosion if underwater or in a bilge.