Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Curmudgeon Emeritus
1996 Scout 192 Sportfish
4,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you crimp, shrink tube, solder... How do you wire?

·
> PRO STAFF <
7,520 Posts
Yes, to all.
Depends on location of connection needed.
Terminal block - crimp connects
Bilge or wet locations - silver no acid solder, heat shrink, silicon sealant

·
Curmudgeon Emeritus
1996 Scout 192 Sportfish
4,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry should have added duct tape and prayers too... ;)

·
Registered
652 Posts
I like the crimp connectors with heat shrink adhesive built in...solid connection that is sealed.

For my trolling motor to battery connections I used the closed end crimp lugs and covered them with heat shrink tubing with adhesive.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
sorry should have added duct tape and prayers too...  ;)
Twist-and-Pray :D

Actually, Prefer solder with heat shrink for permanent fixtures, crimp mostly though. I like the heat shrink crimps too. dialectric grease on all connections.

·
The world is flat....and shallow.
455 Posts
Solder everything.  I grew up with this mandate from my Dad.  Use Rosin core, NOT acid core.

Got this off the web:

Rosin core solder contains rosin, which is usually a purified pine tree sap, as a fluxing agent. The flux can be inactive, in which case it simply covers the area being soldered during the process (to keep oxides from forming), active or mildly active , in which case it will remove light-to-medium oxides that were present before the soldering process began, or highly active, which will remove almost any oxide or stain on the part and allow a good solder joint to be made.

Kemo   :cool:

·
Living &amp; Dying in 3/4 Time
2,558 Posts
Crimp & Glue Lined Heat Shrink. Solder connections are not ideal in boats. You create a solid section connected to a flexible section. Over time this can create stress & break at the solder connection.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Solder, and heat shrink only.... I solder everything, even up to the speaker wires..  I've had my share of nav lights flickering, and b.s. not working.. And, i'm cheap as hell... It takes a little longer to solder, but much cheaper, and you always have a solid connection..

·
Registered
190 Posts
Normally I would say solder and heat-shrink everything, and silicone. However, I've been on an SKA Fishing team for the past 3 years, and since I was the one with a degree in electronics engineering, I was tasked with keeping everything working. We've went through dozens of pumps in single year..

I've had to rig up some stuff during a tounament to keep things running, and discovered something kinda cool, you may want to try if you're in a pinch. I ran out of crimps one day and only had heat-shrink and 5200. I twisted the wires together, slathered them in 5200, and ran the shrink over it. Those connections have faired better than the crimped/shrinked ones. They are most assuredly watertight, since the heat shrink pushes the 5200 out and creates a pretty good cocoon.

It's not a very strong connection, but one that will not fail due to corrosion if underwater or in a bilge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts