holes in bench seats

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by nightfly, Apr 30, 2013.

1. nightfly

nightfly I Love microskiff.com!

so i got all the rust off. the person at west marine talked me into FSR. it worked with several applications and some elbow grease. now i have 4 holes in the front bench and the rear bench from where the seats use to be. my question is how do i cover up those holes? i was thinking filling them with little bit of foam then 5200 on top.

@ Ducknut
    before i put the transom plate on what should i use to cover up that hole/crack
    [​IMG]

2. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

As shown in the pic the area where the clamp went is smashed and the glass is cracked - the wood is rotten and turned to pudding. Really not a good idea to cover it up - replace it.

Seat- is it possible for you to reach the underside of the the seat where the holes are?

3. nightfly

I will replace that down the road... Sounds like a lot of work.

Seat- cant access the underside

4. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Don't take this the wrong way but I won't make a "plan B" recommendation as it would not be prudent and may not result in a safe fix.

You could use 5200 if the holes are not very big. The best way would be to grind them into a bowl shape and fill with thickened epoxy and then sanding smooth.

5. nightfly

I'm going to replace that section of the transom down the road.
    The areas around the crack are still solid( for now)
    The holes are relatively small probably 1/4 round. I'll try the 5200 for now if that doesn't do the job I will epoxy it

Thanks for all your help