Holbox Tarpon Fishing w Darwin Vega

Discussion in 'The Commercial Zone' started by Sabalon, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Sabalon

Sabalon Well-Known Member

Darwin Vega now has his own boat(s) and is working hard to build up his business.

He’s a friend and a great guide. His website is www.tarponisland.com

Last year we caught big tarpon, little tarpon, a buddy caught a permit (I blew my shots, #$*@!), bones, muttons, and snook. Couldn’t put it all together in one day, though!

He has a Marquesa and a panga so he’s got all the bases covered.

I’ve been helping him get established so let me know if you have questions and I will pass them along or answer if I can.

Thanks!

7FF702C8-C615-4B9E-A379-9B970C4EDC51.jpeg E22E9DFA-A66A-400E-8C44-2A1F68E2576E.jpeg 935893AB-7DAC-4525-A53C-E634DA51372E.jpeg 389B9F83-0FF3-422A-946F-CE7DBFFCB5AA.jpeg C22ECC59-8539-44BA-A929-C8486B5D5B3B.jpeg 936D60B0-7460-4193-B65D-420ADA64B814.jpeg 683FB66E-F823-4172-9B2D-EF7DD6F3964A.jpeg 7BBAA833-4ED5-419C-976A-B46EA19AA462.jpeg

sjrobin, Bonecracker and Stevie like this.
  2. Stevie

Stevie Well-Known Member

Wow— sweet mutton snappers. Where did y’all catch those?

I didn’t know Darwin runs a Marquesa— since when?

We go to Holbox all the time and love it. Will have to fish with Darwin. Will be in touch.

Best & Merry Xmas

3. Sabalon

He just got the Marquesa and it will be a couple of months before he gets the permits to run it commercially. Mexican bureaucracy is everything you’ve heard, but it will be all set to go before Spring. We actually bought the boat off of a contact on this site and had some work done on it before it shipped out.

We started mixing up the tarpon fishing with runs toward Isla Blanca well past Cabo Catoche for permit and bones. That place is really an easier run from Cancun or Isla Mujeres, but I like Holbox for the big tarpon and the atmosphere. So, the Marquesa is to make that run quicker and to have a more stealthy platform than a panga once you get there. Permit seem to feel a panga at 50-70 yards if there is any lap or you push it faster than a creep.

That snapper spot is near where the whale shark tours do their snorkeling stop by Catoche...close to the jetties and lighthouse in 8-12 feet of water. It’s worth taking a 12 pound spinning rig and some 3/8 ounce jigs just to make a few drifts there and bring a couple home for dinner. Plus, that spinning rig comes in handy with little jigs in the mouth of the Yalahau for specks. Darwin has a bunch of these rigs so just tell him to bring a couple along.

Let me know what questions you may have. Darwin still has a lot of summer season dates open. And he’s selling fishing with him, not getting there and finding out which guide you’re fishing with that day. He does have the two boats and will run a group of four with a brother or experienced guide buddy, but he’s trying to build personal relationships and wants to fish as many folks himself as he can.

Thanks!

sjrobin and Stevie like this.
  4. Stevie

Stevie Well-Known Member

Sabalón, very good thinking. I have been working on a similar project of taking a poling skif to MX for myself personally. Will be in touch. Best,

Sabalon and sjrobin like this.
  5. texasag07

texasag07 I Love microskiff.com!

Looks looks like he is setup for success. Best of luck to him, I am sure he is loving that Marquesa.

Sabalon likes this.
  6. Sabalon

Sending this to the top as Darwin has several June dates open. That’s big tarpon season! It’s a different fishery for the big fish as you cast sinking line into schools, but the fish eat flies like crazy and the babies and other fishing for bones and permit put it over the top.

The Marquesa is proving to be a great boat for Holbox. You can get in touch on Instagram or through the website: www.tarponisland.com

Thanks!

7. Stevie

Stevie Well-Known Member

I can attest after fishing in March that fishing a Marquesa makes a big difference in Holbox. Darwin is a great guide. We were able to get to the permit flats much quicker, more smoothly and then approached fish with stealth.

sjrobin and Sabalon like this.
  8. Sabalon

Thanks, Steve! Looking forward to having you back! But, don’t be catching up ALL the permit! Leave a few for the rest of us!