Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!! I have been recommended the 16SW by a dealer and he suggested it would fit my needs. My family is the largest crew that would ever be on the boat but they would be max.(wife, 7 yo, 5yo, 2yo.) I would think the whole crew would only do the lake trips. I will also be taking this boat most of the time to a river for trout fishing.

Can anyone comment on hog island skiff for this capacity of any boat that would better accommodate both? I want to stay under 18K all in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys!! I have been recommended the 16SW by a dealer and he suggested it would fit my needs. My family is the largest crew that would ever be on the boat but they would be max.(wife, 7 yo, 5yo, 2yo.) I would think the whole crew would only do the lake trips. I will also be taking this boat most of the time to a river for trout fishing.

Can anyone comment on hog island skiff for this capacity of any boat that would better accommodate both? I want to stay under 18K all in.
I have one. I run a jet so I don't have any experience with a prop. I have been running one since 2015. I'll be happy to answer any questions for you. I don't come on here all that often. Email me [email protected]

·
Registered
748 Posts
I owned one for about a year and a half. It is not a very comfortable or family friendly boat, so don't fool yourself about having fun with your family of 5 on it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I owned one for about a year and a half. It is not a very comfortable or family friendly boat, so don't fool yourself about having fun with your family of 5 on it.
I will add that I didn’t hate the SW16 or anything. There were some shortcomings that I understood going in...and the advantages of the skiff were something not really needed for the area and type of fishing I do. I wasn’t even looking for a new skiff when I saw my current Tavernier 17 but I loved what I saw and ordered one.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I own one of these boats, and would agree, a day on the lake with the family would not be best in a Hog Island. You can fit 5 in the boat, I run a 30 jet on the back, and it does about 16 mph with adults in the boat. The ride is not super dry, so I would not suggest it for larger bodies of water. Rowing it is not an easy feat either. Compared to raft, its a tank. I live on the fall line, and mainly river fish, so the durability was a big factor in purchase of the hog island.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts