Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new owner of a Hog Island Skiff. I run a Tohatsu 50/35 jet tiller. It's a blank slate right now (no add-ons....yet). I have taken it out three times this week- On the two occasions when I was solo, I had a really hard time keeping it on plane. With my two kids (total 200lbs), it was somewhat easier. But still a real tendency to porpoise...

I weigh 215 and sit on the back bench, and had a full 12 ga tank of gas (+100lbs), and nothing else...

I'm thinking it's just a matter of weight, weight distribution, and tilt. I will add burn bars/ lean post and tiller extension which should help (I think?). Also thinking of keeping heavy cooler and possibly using sand bags when running solo...

Thoughts?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,002 Posts
Captain Obvious wants to know if you checked the tilt on the motor.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,102 Posts
Tabs...

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
First things first... Where are your fuel tank and battery located in your hull? That weight distribution is important. Next - exactly where are your passengers sitting (more weight distribution...). All of this can contribute to porpoising (bow light).

Last item, run your rig back to your dealer and have them verify that your motor is set up properly and able to be trimmed all the way in...

If none of the above sorts you out then you’re going to need trim tabs...

M

·
0 Posts
I'm a new owner of a Hog Island Skiff. I run a Tohatsu 50/35 jet tiller. It's a blank slate right now (no add-ons....yet). I have taken it out three times this week- On the two occasions when I was solo, I had a really hard time keeping it on plane. With my two kids (total 200lbs), it was somewhat easier. But still a real tendency to porpoise...

I weigh 215 and sit on the back bench, and had a full 12 ga tank of gas (+100lbs), and nothing else...

I'm thinking it's just a matter of weight, weight distribution, and tilt. I will add burn bars/ lean post and tiller extension which should help (I think?). Also thinking of keeping heavy cooler and possibly using sand bags when running solo...

Thoughts?
I think that you're on the right track. Weight distribution is the most critical component of good performance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First things first... Where are your fuel tank and battery located in your hull? That weight distribution is important. Next - exactly where are your passengers sitting (more weight distribution...). All of this can contribute to porpoising (bow light).

Last item, run your rig back to your dealer and have them verify that your motor is set up properly and able to be trimmed all the way in...

If none of the above sorts you out then you’re going to need trim tabs...
thanks...the battery, 12 gallon fuel tank (which is full = 100 lbs) me (+215lb), and Tohatsu 50/35 tiller motor (+-210 lbs) all located in the back of the Hog Island Skiff, which has a hull weight of 480 lbs. I'm thinking that I start w sensible weight distribution tactics first before evaluating trim tabs.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Amen... My old Maverick has always been "bow light" ... Even with a 30 gallon tank and two batteries in the bow (a bunch of weight in a 17' skiff) it still needs trimmers. Any hull benefits from trim tabs (either Bennett, my choice, or the newer Lenco tabs) but you'd like to sort out weight distribution first since you might not have a necessity of using trim tabs (much better situation) since the use of tabs to keep your bow down means you're adding drag to your hull and it simply won't go as fast as it could when you open it up...

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
9,132 Posts
Amen... My old Maverick has always been "bow light" ... Even with a 30 gallon tank and two batteries in the bow (a bunch of weight in a 17' skiff) it still needs trimmers. Any hull benefits from trim tabs (either Bennett, my choice, or the newer Lenco tabs) but you'd like to sort out weight distribution first since you might not have a necessity of using trim tabs (much better situation) since the use of tabs to keep your bow down means you're adding drag to your hull and it simply won't go as fast as it could when you open it up...
No matter how much weight I have in the front of my HPX-T it won’t run as fast without using tabs. Using the tabs to get the stern up I can run my trim out past level and air her out to run 33-34mph. Even with just myself I can put two ice chests full of ice, a full tank of gas and my tackle bag in the very front and still can’t run as fast as I can using tabs down and trimming her out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't believe you can do tabs on the Hog Island. Transom doesn't allow for screw holes below the waterline, wouldn't hold screws with the stress. I had to have a special bracket fabricated to hold a transducer due to not being able to screw into the transom.

Mine had a Tohatsu 30hp prop. It was very sensitive to where the engine was trimmed. Seeking optimum speed, I could trim up to where it started to porpoise, then bump it back down a bit. Just something to deal with. I have no experience running a jet on this size boat.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It could be a weight distribution, or engine set up problem. I have a Hog Island, and run a Yamaha 40/30. I have not had any issues with the boat not getting on plane, and staying on plane. I do keep a yeti 50 up front, and 30lb anchor ball off the nose. So that is an extra 65 lbs up front. You should throw a sand bag or two up there to check it out.
Just for reference, I think our engines weigh the same, and I have a 12 gal tank in the back. I also have a row seat in the middle of the boat with oars. So, engine, battery, tank, and yeti and anchor up front would be the what I have in my boat.
Who set your engine up?

·
BBA Counselor
6,757 Posts
Simple test is best to start with. Put a few 5 gallon buckets up front. If the porpoising and running angle improve you have your answer, and start planning to relocate the batteries and gear.

I'm not a fan of jumping to tabs on a small boat, unless all other options are exhausted. In many cases they are correcting for other situations that can be resolved when running in calm waters.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think if you engine is set up properly, once you put a trolling motor or anchor up front it should help you out.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,063 Posts
If you can’t put tabs on the boat then get a cav plate like a Shaw wing from Stiffy

·
Registered
748 Posts
I don't believe you can do tabs on the Hog Island. Transom doesn't allow for screw holes below the waterline, wouldn't hold screws with the stress. I had to have a special bracket fabricated to hold a transducer due to not being able to screw into the transom.

Mine had a Tohatsu 30hp prop. It was very sensitive to where the engine was trimmed. Seeking optimum speed, I could trim up to where it started to porpoise, then bump it back down a bit. Just something to deal with. I have no experience running a jet on this size boat.
Correct. You can't put tabs, even smart tabs on a plastic boat. I'm a former HI owner and ran one for about a year and a half.

Weight distribution will help. I has a front deck, TM and battery up front. But also a poling platform and a 50 hp tiller on the back so overall I'd bet the upfront weight was neutralized by the added rear weight.

I had some porpoising issues, not impossible, but I could not trim the motor up as much as I wanted to before it would start...especially when it was very calm and flat. I put a Hydrofoil on the lower unit which helped a bit. I also got a SS prop with that helped a bit as well, but the biggest difference I saw was moving the outboard up higher on the transom. Start with the motor height and see what improves and then see what else can help you from there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It could be a weight distribution, or engine set up problem. I have a Hog Island, and run a Yamaha 40/30. I have not had any issues with the boat not getting on plane, and staying on plane. I do keep a yeti 50 up front, and 30lb anchor ball off the nose. So that is an extra 65 lbs up front. You should throw a sand bag or two up there to check it out.
Just for reference, I think our engines weigh the same, and I have a 12 gal tank in the back. I also have a row seat in the middle of the boat with oars. So, engine, battery, tank, and yeti and anchor up front would be the what I have in my boat.
Who set your engine up?
Greg wondering if you like the 40/30 Yamaha on your boat, I just got mine out on the water brand new and it doesn't seem to peg out at more than 15mph with 2 guys in it, wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if that motor on that boat is simply too small...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts