Hog Hunting

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by oysterbreath, Jan 29, 2013.

1. oysterbreath

oysterbreath Well-Known Member

Anyone on here into hunting hogs? I've been flirting with the idea of picking up a nice bolt riffle for hogs. I got a bow, but don't use it much. It was intended for turkey which I don't do anymore. Been kinda wanting to put together a mid level riffle for hogs and some mid range accuracy shooting. I'm kinda interested in hearing what others have been doing hog-wise?

2. ColeMorgan

ColeMorgan I Love microskiff.com!

I've got quite a few buddies in the Moorehaven area that hunt hogs. They use dogs and knife them, which is a little more sketchy technique. They have 3-5 dogs and they turn them loose from the buggy, then once they get one bayed up they turn the catch dog loose (usually a pit, or pit/cur mix). Once the catch dog has the hogs attention, they grab em by the back legs, flip em, and stick them in the throat. Also, this way if they get a boar hog they can castrate it, and turn it loose. They do this for 2 reasons; one, the hog can no longer reproduce (eradication) and also a hog that is still producing testosterone has very gamy meat, not even worth eating. So they turn it loose, and down the road the hog isn't reproducing, and the meat ends up tasting better.

If you're rifle hunting, I'd say put out a big pile of corn, and wait for em. Hogs don't pass up free food.

3. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

I will take you hunting for them three days AFTER you finish your build.

Quit segueing and get in the shop.

Seriously, if you want to go let me know - I owe tide a hunt as well.

4. WhiteDog70810

WhiteDog70810 Mostly Harmless

For some reason, shooting a pig sounds much more fulfilling than shooting a deer to me, but that is because I am a meat hunter at heart and I dearly love the incredible edible pig. That being said, I am just dreaming and scheming because I keep moving away from where the pigs are.

I keep looking at a Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun, the stainless one with the 7 round capacity and big loop lever. I think that would be an awesome pig cannon. You can cycle a lever gun much faster than a bolt. If you ever get in a bind, you'll appreciate that speed and the blunt force trauma of huge slow round. You don't need minute of angle accuracy with a 45-70.

My brother-in-law swears that the ones he shoots with a bow drop faster than the ones he shoots with a rifle. He has shot many more than my awesome grand total of "0", so I can't argue.

I've met a lot of people who will shoot a pig if given the chance. However, I've also met a few hard core hog hunters along the way like C_Morgan described. Shooting a pig just isn't sporting them. Prepare to invest in 3-6 running dogs (usually Walkers, Black-mouthed curs or Catahoula curs), a couple of catch dogs (usually pits), Kevlars for the catch dogs, a four wheeler and a large knife. Some guys even get tracking collars for the running dogs. Expect to replace dogs frequently. I don't like suturing up dogs enough to get into that game myself, but others live for it.

Nate

5. acraft1720

acraft1720 I Love microskiff.com!

We shoot hogs while deer hunting and I've always used a .270 which is my favorite gun for deer. It does the job nicely though I'm sure a lot of other guns would do it also. Otherwise a 12 gauge with buck shot is very popular around here and gets it done as well. Shoot em up!

6. Creek Runner

Creek Runner Well-Known Member

I hunt hogs often, still hunt and run dogs. I use my Sako .270WSM with a 150gr bonded tip & 4x-11x Zeiss scope, I also use a Remington .300 win mag with a 180gr it has a 6x-18x Zeiss on it. I have been know to kill a few ;)

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

7. oysterbreath

LOL, Nice call DuckNut! I do segway a whole lot! I'll focus on the boat but GOTTA divert my attention from time to time. I might have to take you up on that offer.
    Nate, I've been looking at those guide guns too! I like Marlins but lately I've been even looking at Rossi. 45-70 would be a fun load but I wonder if it would do too much damage to the meat? 454 casual, 44mag, or 45 colt could be good option for a lever too. Maybe a bit cheaper to load too. 454 Casual has a bit more allure to me than 45-70. Honestly, I do think the Chiappa 1886 Kodiak is about the most sexy lever riffle I ever did see! Out of my price range though. I love scout scopes. Bout the only way I can work a right handed bolt gun southpaw with speed...If I were to get a bolt. I've been eyeing a Howa 1500 too. Anyway, thanks for the replies fellas!
    Creek runner, those are some fine pulled pork donators you got their! I've been running into a lot of folk who swear by the 270. On paper it sounds like a sweet load. I've been trying to find out more about the 7mm08 too? Me, 308 is my only bolt experience. I'd get a Ruger scout if I didn't like the M77 action! lol
    As a matter of fact, I might trade in my Hi-point carbine and use that toward an entry level bolt or lever.

8. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

I use a heavy barrel, bol action Ruger M77 .25-06. I bought it shortly after moving to FL because the .30-06 was simply blowing shiz up.

BTW- .25-06 is a .270 necked down to .25

9. WhiteDog70810

Re: Hog Huntinghttp://www.microskiff.com/yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/right.gif

Oysterbreath,

A 45-70 is definitely overkill for the average eatin' size hog, but the "damn it would be fun" aspect is what I like about it. I also like that it is the easiest round to source of the big Marlin lever guns.

A 308 would be fine, as would any other moderate to heavy deer cartridge.

What surprises me is the number of guys using 6.8 mm Rem SPC on hogs (It is basically a 270 projectile loaded in to a 30 Rem cartridge). I want an AR in that caliber so bad I can't stand it, so I was really happy to hear this. The problem is that you need to load your own to really have fun with the less popular calibers.

Nate

10. oysterbreath

Ducknut, how do you like the action on that M77. I REALLY want to like the M77 but at it's price point I really want a smoother bolt. Especially since I've grown "OK" with working right handed actions southpaw style. I came sooo close to picking up a gunsite scout back when I got the hi-point. I still think the Ruger Frontier would be sweet. I personally don't know a thing about the .25-06. It must be a real zinger if it shot from a .270 case. I'll have to look up it's Ballistic coefficient for sure.

Nate, yeah....I've read a lot of interesting things about the 6.8spc, 6.5 grendel and a few other 6 point blah blah loads. Honestly, I'd rather just use a 7.62x39 over all of them. CZ and Ruger have/had bolt riffles chambered in 7.62x39. The CZ was REALLY interesting. It ain't a long range round but at 100 yards via a bolt riffle it's a real pig getter from what I hear. Anyway, speaking of rounds designed for the AR to get it to launch 30 cal rounds...I do like that 300 Whisper and 300 blackout. I also read an article about one of the TV guns shows building an AR chambered in 458socom for hog hunting. I'm not sure, I'll have to check, but I wonder if the 458socom is somewhere between a 454casull and 45-70 in terms of BC?

11. Creek Runner

Creek Runner Well-Known Member

I have both an AR in 6.8spc (Wilson) and .308 (Bushmaster) and they both will put hogs down, I shoot them in the ear and they don't run. Even with having all the choices I have, I still find myself using my .270WSM 9/10 it's just an awesome round and my Sako will shoot sub MOA. Next would be the .308 but not in the AR-15; I have a custom built one from Homer Strickland of Accuracy Arms (No longer with us) gun shoots better than I could ever shoot it.

12. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

The guy I buy my guns from it a prized marksman and he will not let anything go out of his shop that is not perfect. He is also a nutcase. He carries no guns in his shop but is known for his reloads. I also buy lots of ammo from him as well as shotshell components.

When I bought the Ruger he got his hands on it first and I simply picked it up from him and the action is silk - so I can not attest to a factory feel.

I like the gun because it has plenty of power and you don't get kicked from a mule. Real pleasant to soot.

13. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

If you want a great hog gun without breaking the bank look no further than a 12ga shotgun and some inexpensive brenneke slugs. Stay away from lightfield slugs, they are not cast, the lead is too soft and does nothing but flatten out on larger pigs. Trust me I found out the hard way more than once and the recovered slugs look like quarters.

Nothing beats a big heavy chunk of lead, and the slug will leave a big hole in 'em.

If you want something light to carry with no recoil ruger makes a neat little .44mag bolt action that weighs about 5 lbs I think. Buffalo bore makes some very potent .44mag loads but they may not all fit in the Ruger's magazine.

Again, larger diameter hole and slow/big chunk of lead for a whallop. Damage less meat, leave big hole for blood trailing in case of a bad shot.

This is a 12ga brenneke slug after giving a the pig in the 2nd pic a frontal lobotomy at close range. Notice how wide that slug is, that is a huge hole in an animal!
    [​IMG]

Can't resist posting a pic of my bride with a couple oinkers (she's the one in the middle) :)
    [​IMG]

Face it, pigs are pigs, and your shots are gonna be under 50 yards here in FL (most likely under 20 yards). There's no need for fancy guns/scopes/ammo for that kind of shooting. A smoothbore 12ga with open sights and a pocket full of slugs is all you really need.

If you want to break your shoulder and punish the pigs equally, look at some of the offerings from Dixie Slugs. Your chiropractor will thank you

-T

14. oysterbreath

TomFL, that's some good info. Back when I picked up my last carbine, from Shoot straight, they had a little sale on some Rem 870s and Moss 590s...no wait, they were moss 500s. Anyway, I almost called the wife to tell her that I "F'ed" up again but I resisted! I gotta tell ya' a secrete though, I got the hots for that Stoger Outback. Well, atleast I did till I got a bit more info on it. Now it's just a mild crush! lol

15. WhiteDog70810

TomFL,

Quite being so damn practical! This poor man is obviously looking for an excuse to buy another gun and you are throwing cold water on his wet dream.
    ;D
    A 12 gauge is like a 16' jonboat with a 25 hp engine; it will do everything you have any business doing, but there are so many cooler, more expensive, less functional options out there just begging to be bought.

Admittedly, a 45-70 Guide Gun is really just a highly glorified slug gun.

Nate

16. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

17. WhiteDog70810

That was just mean! I said a 45-70 was a glorified slug gun, but a .410, really?

Doesn't matter. I still want the Guide Gun. I can get some home brew nose bleed loads if my ego can't take the slug gun jokes.

Nate

18. oysterbreath

19. WhiteDog70810

Hmmm. I might not want the Guide Gun. I am finding many more bad reviews than I used to.

Maybe I'll get the TC Katahdin 45-70 instead. Decisions, decisions...

Nate

20. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

It was not intended to be mean. :(

The Marlin action is a great action AFTER a gunsmith takes care of it. Get one from a custom gun maker.

I read in one of my magazines that Wild West Guns has a custom stainless job in different calibers with .45-70 being the smallest that breaks down into two pieces. Never seen it but they are a noted top 100 gun maker.