High idle after cleaning carbs

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by thawk, Jan 13, 2012.

1. thawk

thawk Noobin' it up!

My boat has been running very poorly at lower rpms and shutting off intermittently. So I pulled my carbs off and gave them a thorough cleaning, including replacing all the gaskets, orings, floaters, etc inside. I counted the turns of the idle screws when removing them from the motor and installed them back in the same respect...but I'm idling at 1500 RPMs now. Granted, this is on muffs, so I'm going to stick it in the water today to try and adjust further....but last night I couldn't seem to alter the idle by adjusting the screws counter-clockwise. I'll have to wait until I get home to post a pic of the screw I'm adjusting, but it's on the side of all 3 carbs and is located pretty close to where the linkage connects to the bodies. First carb rebuild, but I had a guy at work that does his own maintenance give me a brief run-down and he stated that was the idle screw.

Good news, my motor is running like a champ now! I'm hoping it continues to run well once I get my idle back down to 900 RPMs

Motor is a Tohatsu M40D2, 2005.

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Pretty sure that rpm's should be set with boat in water, idling, in forward gear.
    Setting idle from muffs doesn't compensate for back pressure caused by water level.
    Failure to set idle using the proper method results in stalling when shifting from neutral into gear.

3. thawk

thawk Noobin' it up!

Sounds about right...plus with our temperatures dipping lower after this cold front, the motor may not have been warm enough on the muffs to idle regularly.

4. levip

levip I Love microskiff.com!

not sure where you are but in colder weather shes gonna idle higher especially with clean carbs

on the muffs at idle you want the idle to be around 11-1200rpm and in the water itll be around 900 due to the back pressure created by the water
    make sure the idle lever is against the stop and check your idle timing as it may have gotten thrown off when you cleaned the carbs

5. thawk

thawk Noobin' it up!

Put it in the water, idles at around 900 in gear. Runs fantastic, no stalling, I'm pretty stoked that cleaning the carbs did the trick :)

6. levip

levip I Love microskiff.com!

yeah man glad to hear it it makes a hell of a difference doesnt it?