Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While it will be a few months before I get my first skiff, Im looking at the best ways to hide it from ducks when the season rolls around next year. I normally like to hunt from my kayak/SUP, but the chance to go further and farther is too good to pass up. What are the easiest ways to hide a skiff?

·
Mostly Harmless
2,244 Posts
There is a previous recent post that addresses this, but the consensus was basically...

1.) Hunker down in natural cover and hide you boat away from you. I recommend that it be out of the line sight of birds working your dekes from over the water. I love to hunt out of my boat because it is so comfortable, but I flare birds most of the time when I try it. It is hard to hide a predatory monkey and big chunk of something "not natural" in the same place while still staying within range of your dekes.
2.) Even though it is away/behind you, hide you boat well. I like a camo boat covered with camo cloth brushed in with natural vegetation and pulled up in tall cover. I don't think there is such a thing as "too camo'd" unless it sinks your boat. If you lose your boat in the dark, it is just about right.

Nate

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Honestly, just put your boat a couple hundred yards up wind from you on the shoreline. I've done this with white bay boats and camo painted Jon boats alike and it's never been an issue. You can throw some netting over the top of it if it makes you feel better but imho it's not needed if the boat is away from you. The birds are far more wary of your pie face looking up at them and movement in the blind than any object up the shoreline.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I push my camo boat up into an opening in the mangroves and throw camo netting or palm fronds over anything not camo. Then I usually sit about 25 yards away allowing me to drop ducks off easily.

·
Registered
310 Posts
My Wall mart has camo cloth cheap, and in a marsh grass pattern. Its in their craft department. It's 6 foot wide and they can cut it off a bolt at whatever length you need. I got 20 feet to cover motor and bow to the waterline. Throw a bit of natural cover on top. After the hunt I just roll it up and go. At home I hang it over the boat to dry. Easy, I've used the same piece for 7 years on duck boats and kayaks.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,244 Posts
Now, can I ask, how worried are any of you about someone finding your skiff while youre away hunting, and stealing it?
I am less than 200 yards away from my duckboat with a loaded gun. I am not worried in the least. I have had things stolen from the big boat when mothershipping, which is one of the reasons I like microskiffs. They float as shallow as a canoe, but they have an outboard to get you away from the ramp.

Nate

·
Premium Member
3,080 Posts
In the delta, here in California some use "drive in" portable blinds for their boats.
They get anchored or attached to a broken levy (there are several islands that at one time or another had a levy breach and was not cost effective to repair creating excellent water fowl habitat, inches to 15 feet deep or so. The last island to become a "lake" was bought by a duck club. They use steel cables and rocks to try to keep out any boats from getting in... :)

I've seen professional looking to home made portable blinds. Only problem is the good ones are just like towing a very light weight boat so can take awhile to get in position or reposition.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.