Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I introduced myself in the "intro" forum a couple weeks back and then got busy with life stuff before I could get some posts in. I live in central NC and would realistically use the boat on lakes 80% of the time and coast 20%.

I am looking for Heron 16 or Cayenne owners and/or those experienced with both boats to weigh in on the following.

Chop- Since I would mostly be on lakes, looking for a boat that can handle some chop when winds pick-up. I have been told the heron would perform better but interested in cayenne owners weighing in here.

Also, anyone have a cc with the jump seat? I am focusing mostly around the console area in terms of layout and options and having a hard time deciding....decision, decisions. I was thinking about doing a jump seat, but am now thinking about a cc with a cooler in front when an extra seat is needed so I could have extra space.

Thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Fly,

I went back and forth between these 2 and the Advent for the past couple of weeks. I at least think I received some good information both online and in direct conversations. I decided on the Heron 16 both because it's supposed to handle chop better and also because it's less tippy than the Cayenne. Since the Heron has a good-sized live well, I'm going to do the cc with a cooler that can double as a casting platform when wanted. I just have a hard time justifying the cost for both a jump seat AND a casting platform when I can take care of both with a good cooler. I still have a good 6 months to go. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Where are you at in central NC? I'm just outside of Raleigh and although I don't have a Cayenne or Heron 16, I have a Copperhead that I take to lakes in the area. I'd recommend the Heron just because it will perform better with all of the Chad bro ski boat wake at our lakes. I have the cc with cooler tie downs in front of it and prefer it over a dedicated jump seat just because of the extra room I can create. Most of the time I only have one other person with me so the big cooler stays at the house and there's room for the dog or just being able to move around more freely. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Fly,

I went back and forth between these 2 and the Advent for the past couple of weeks. I at least think I received some good information both online and in direct conversations. I decided on the Heron 16 both because it's supposed to handle chop better and also because it's less tippy than the Cayenne. Since the Heron has a good-sized live well, I'm going to do the cc with a cooler that can double as a casting platform when wanted. I just have a hard time justifying the cost for both a jump seat AND a casting platform when I can take care of both with a good cooler. I still have a good 6 months to go. Good luck to you!
I did the same with regards to the cooler vs jump seat. I have couple minutes on the Heron 16 build I put in (the wait sucks, glad I have a bay boat to fish other methods with).

I will post my build specs once the build starts.

Did they tell you 6 months? Just curious.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Months not minutes, good night that auto correct :)
I'd sent in my $300 a couple of weeks ago with the original thought on an Advent. I contacted Rose and confirmed that I am committing to the Heron 16. She'd originally told me 7-8 months but that I jumped a couple of people because of when I got my $300 in. Don't know if I'm being overly optimistic on the 6 months. They have a rep who guides out of Marco Island on an 18. I'll get out with him a couple of times while waiting to get some pointers and to ease my pain of waiting.

·
Registered
497 Posts
That will be a nice reprieve! I have never owned a tech skiff, been fly fishing for 25 years. I have a bay boat due to the wife and family and it supports many needs over the niche boat but I have always wanted a poking skiff.

The bay boat is really nice if we fish 10-15 offshore or really rough days on the bay, jettis or surf.

Good luck on your build, hope we have some folks bail to other boats In their line so we can slide in a little faster.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the replies everyone. When I inquired about wait times I was told 7 months. Sounds consistent with everyone else.

Marco Mike-Thats a great point about doubling the purpose of the cooler. Definitely going that route now.

JBNC- I am in Cary

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
I ran a Cayenne for two years and loved every minute of it. I had the center console with the jump seat which afforded me more dry storage and kept ice and drinks cold for the day if I didn't need to take a cooler. If I had to choose between the Heron and the Cayenne, as much as I loved the Cayenne, I'd take the Heron all day because of the ride. I would still do the CC w/ the jump seat. Let me know if I can get you pricing.

Reactions: plisser

·
FlounderPounder
1,239 Posts
I know I’m late to the party, but don’t rule out an offset console. A lot of people don’t like the idea aesthetically, but on a small boat it creates so much useable room. I felt like I could carry three people so much more comfortably after I switched my last boat to side console.

Small boats are all about trade offs and utilizing every bit of space and I feel like offset consoles don’t get enough love.

You can still stand up and run more comfortably than a side console and still have almost as much room. Plus if you leave a couple inches between the gunnel and console it’s easy to slip a couple rods right into the gunnel rod holders.

My boat had two batteries in the console for the trolling motor and one on the same side for the engine. I didn’t notice much, if any, listing.

Before (Sorry, I don’t have any pics available to show before any better)
A66FD0BA-16CD-4FDE-8C6F-EF7039CD9AB8.jpeg

After
1141791A-7F39-4739-A89A-6C77DBB99C81.jpeg
DAAC0F6C-FB69-4625-86C0-9EA3AA90422F.jpeg

·
Registered
390 Posts
I’ve been a Heron owner for two weeks now. I can tell you the hull design and dry ride are it’s strong points in my opinion. I’m down here in the Keys now and have been thru some pretty sloppy water with no problem. On calm days...trim that puppy out and she just glides. I can plane at about 4000 rpm with just me in the skiff. I’m running the 50hp Tohatsu with the integrated aluminum gas tank under the front deck.

I was leaning toward a side console till I visited the Salt Marsh facility and spoke with Rose. She pointed me toward the center console and I’m glad I went that route.

As far as “tippy-ness”...I can walk the gunnel front to back with no problem. This hull design is the perfect combination of width and length for my purposes.

Check out my thread, “Ordered my Salt Marsh Heron”...it documents the process and gives a pretty accurate timeline. My build took about seven months....originally told close to a year. I think Hurricane Michael changed a lot of folks plans (damaged homes, etc)...and as a result....I moved up the list faster than expected.

Attachments

Reactions: Marco Mike

·
Registered
390 Posts
Forgot to mention....options I got....and glad I did:

*Float-On aluminum trailer with aluminum wheel upgrade

*Bait well and pump

*Trolling motor pre-wire

*custom seat cushion

·
Soy un Perdedor
2,562 Posts
I have a bay boat due to the wife and family and it supports many needs over the niche boat but I have always wanted a poking skiff.
Auto correct again or do you have a sweet young thang on the side?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got my Heron just before Georgiadrifter I think and I echo what he said. I just love the skiff and have been using it in Charlotte Harbor and I could not be happier with the dry ride and it eats chop and I am a fat old geezer and can walk the gunnels all the way.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I’ve been a Heron owner for two weeks now. I can tell you the hull design and dry ride are it’s strong points in my opinion. I’m down here in the Keys now and have been thru some pretty sloppy water with no problem. On calm days...trim that puppy out and she just glides. I can plane at about 4000 rpm with just me in the skiff. I’m running the 50hp Tohatsu with the integrated aluminum gas tank under the front deck.

I was leaning toward a side console till I visited the Salt Marsh facility and spoke with Rose. She pointed me toward the center console and I’m glad I went that route.

As far as “tippy-ness”...I can walk the gunnel front to back with no problem. This hull design is the perfect combination of width and length for my purposes.

Check out my thread, “Ordered my Salt Marsh Heron”...it documents the process and gives a pretty accurate timeline. My build took about seven months....originally told close to a year. I think Hurricane Michael changed a lot of folks plans (damaged homes, etc)...and as a result....I moved up the list faster than expected.
I'm interested in what she said to steer you away from the side console. I've seen a few people now say they went into the Heron build with a side console in mind and walked away with a center after talking with them.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
98 Posts

nice ride and at BPKFL too! Ill be there in 41 days

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm interested in what she said to steer you away from the side console. I've seen a few people now say they went into the Heron build with a side console in mind and walked away with a center after talking with them.
I’m not sure exactly how the conversation went....but we discussed lack of leg room with the side console and the fact that you can stand comfortably while underway...with a center console. Keep in mind the center console has a tilt steering wheel that allows you to customize the angle for comfort. The side console may have the tilt feature as well....not sure. One word of note....they have two center consoles....a small one and a larger (taller) one. I went with the smaller center console simply because I liked how it looked on the Heron. Your tastes may differ. That’s why I’m glad I went on a tour and met with Rose. I also got to see a build that had the same hull color I chose which was reassuring.

Reactions: jbnc

·
Registered
102 Posts
I’m not sure exactly how the conversation went....but we discussed lack of leg room with the side console and the fact that you can stand comfortably while underway...with a center console. Keep in mind the center console has a tilt steering wheel that allows you to customize the angle for comfort. The side console may have the tilt feature as well....not sure. One word of note....they have two center consoles....a small one and a larger (taller) one. I went with the smaller center console simply because I liked how it looked on the Heron. Your tastes may differ. That’s why I’m glad I went on a tour and met with Rose. I also got to see a build that had the same hull color I chose which was reassuring.
Thanks man. I'm wanting to go side console on my next skiff for the extra room and the Heron is on my short list so I figured I'd see if it was anything specific to the model.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts