Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wilmington anglers... new to the forum and appreciate all the info on here. Anyone in Wilmington, NC with a Heron 16 who'd be willing to let me take a look? Considering putting down a deposit but need to see (and preferably ride on) one before I do. Willing to trade beer, bait, and gas!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Welcome Stewart. I’m ILM also, unfortunately I can’t help you w any info on the Heron, but this forum is a great source to get answers for just about everything you need!

Are you buying factory direct or using one of the local boat shops?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I’m kind of in the same boat (no pun intended), I’ve been looking to buy something, so stumbled on this forum back in Feb. if you keep an eye out on “Classifieds” section, there are some great deals from members selling their rigs. Mostly out of Florida, but believe it or not there have been several out of ILM and many more out of CHS and SAV. I would start there as you may be able to find a great deal on a gently used boat. I even remember seeing a Heron or two but don’t hold me to that!

As an aside, there was a guy selling a boat here in ILM that posted on the classified. I watched it for a week, researched the company (I’d never heard of them before), and even had my best girl sign off on the purchase. I work out of town so left for five days and was going to start the process when I got home. That’s the week the C-19 Red Death hit, so didn’t pull the trigger as I was worried about a big ticket item purchase at the time. Incidentally the boat sold within the week! :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Used would be ideal but have been having a hard time finding one. Hopefully I’ll get lucky soon. Good luck on your purchase as well, crazy times.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Wilmington isn’t a hotbed of skiffs IFKWIM...

I’m friends w one of the owners at Marine Warehouse out in Ogden. They have the Carolina Skiff franchise here in town but they’re really more Bayboat style. The true skiff CS16? I think, I’m not sure if they even make anymore.

There is an Xpress dealer out in the Ogden area (sorry don’t recall the name) that had a nice true MicroSkiff but due to the WuFlu, I haven’t ventured out there to check it out. Ive found a dealer out of SC called Cast&Blast. They’re true poling skiffs but aluminum boats. Very nice rigs. Reasonably priced compared to the HellsBay line and others. I’m really thinking of nabbing one of those.

Good luck on your search. Come back and post pics of what you get! Tight lines!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wilmington anglers... new to the forum and appreciate all the info on here. Anyone in Wilmington, NC with a Heron 16 who'd be willing to let me take a look? Considering putting down a deposit but need to see (and preferably ride on) one before I do. Willing to trade beer, bait, and gas!
I’m in Charleston, SC and will be picking my Heron 16 up next month. If you feel like driving I will take you out. This is my second boat from them and they are a pleasure to work with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m in Charleston, SC and will be picking my Heron 16 up next month. If you feel like driving I will take you out. This is my second boat from them and they are a pleasure to work with.
Thanks so much for the kind offer. Much appreciated and congrats on the new boat. If I can get down there I will absolutely reach out!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There’s one in classified. You can save a bunch if you’re willing to travel
Thanks Rob. Saw that, and am very tempted. Getting a used one would be ideal, but I’m always wary of boats coming out of FL (of course where most flats boats are located). We haven’t had good experience with the maintenance and quality of repairs coming out of FL and it’s a long way to travel to be let down. Understand that’s a HUGE generalization and 100% not accurate all the time, but it’s based on a lot of experience. I may end up doing it regardless, but we’ll see!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tha
Hey Stewart, I live in Wilmington and have a Heron 16. More then welcome to fish on it.
That’s a really generous offer that I’d love to take you up on. Can’t thank you enough. I’m sure there’s some direct message functionality on the site I’ll figure out — will be in touch shortly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts