Here is a question for Floridians...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SClay115, Oct 22, 2010.

1. SClay115

SClay115 Throwin' loops

Okay, so I live in Orlando, and got wind of a local freshwater canal that holds some fish, just something quick to get to without having to take the skiff out.

Deal is, the canal backs a bunch of homes. Now, it is a good bit away from the back of the houses, probably a good 30-40 foot, but they are still there. What I am wondering is, do folks that do not live there, have access to the water? And is it legal for me to be walking along the canal, or is it violating some property laws?

When I was in High School, I lived in Southwest Florida, and fished a lake in the middle of a development. Would start in a specific spot, and work my way around the lake, and it would be the same situation as this, basically, right behind someone's home, but close to the water's edge. I was young, and didn't give it a second thought.

But now, obviously, I want to be more clear on the issue. I don't intend to be raising hell out there, and I think that generally people really wouldn't mind, but if I get the one homeowner who wants to complain, I simply want to have the knowledge to back it up.

I thought I had heard somewhere about an easement of some sort, that is basically state owned or whatnot, I could be wrong, and probably am. But hopefully you folks understand what I am saying. No docks, really only a drainage canal.

So, anyone have any idea?

Steve

Ninja edit: Yes, I can access the canal by the roadway, I do not need to walk through somebody's front yard. Just wanted to clarify.

2. cal1320

cal1320 Well-Known Member

Technically it private property. But whose? get an address and pull it up on the property appraiser website. It will show all the property lines around the lake. If its county owned then fish away. But be respectful of the residents. Oh yea, its tradition to invite
    the first person to respond to your post. ;)

3. Swamp

Swamp I Love microskiff.com!

If the private property extends o the lip of the canal, you have a problem. As long as you do not have to cross or stand on private property, you should be fine. Just make sure the governing body (water mis-managment, county, etc.) has not posted it either. You could also ask a home owner if the canal is private and how the owners feel about respectful fishers.

Another option if you have public right of way access like you said, is to drop a canoe in it. People tend to stress less if you are in a boat. Doesn't make any sense but that's what I've found.

Swamp

4. SClay115

SClay115 Throwin' loops

Fantastic! Looked up the area on the county site, and while it doesn't belong to the county, but to some water control organization, at least it doesn't belong to the folks whose homes back it.

And if it produces anything, you can definitely be invited!

Steve