help with trolling motor controller

Discussion in 'Power it up with Electronics' started by jeff_harris, Jul 21, 2011.

1. jeff_harris

jeff_harris I Love microskiff.com!

Hi all , I stumbled across this site while trying to get some info on a speed controller for a trolling motor. There seems to be a lot of knowledgeable members here so i joined.
    What i am trying to do is bypass the control head of a older minnkota 30 lb ( with the speed coils ),
    and use pwm to control the speed to gain longer trolling time. It has been done according to some with
    rc controllers (mamba max ) but they can get pricey and it would appear that there may be some programing involved via pc which i would like to avoid. Does any one have any suggestions on what type of economical controller might work best or if anyone has done this which controllers should i avoid.I am also curious about h20 problems, ( protecting them from the rain and such )
    Thanks

2. twitch

twitch Well-Known Member

Vexilar used to make a pulse width modulator just for trolling motors, but quit making them about 10 years or so ago. I'd search ebay and try finding one instead of reinventing the wheel. JMO

3. jeff_harris

jeff_harris I Love microskiff.com!

thanks twitch , i will see what i can find.

4. Frank_Sebastian

Frank_Sebastian Well-Known Member

Hi Vexler,

I have done just what you are trying to do. I bought a kit off the internet and assembled it two years ago. It has worked flawlessly as long as you hold the amperage down to 16 amps. I installed a 12V computer fan (processor cooler) and can now run at 20 amps with no problem yet. You can now buy one assembled and make a case for it. I paid about $25 for the kit, but much more robust assembled models are now out there for $50 or a little more. With these I can't see a problem with a 12V 30# thrust motor. I used Minkota quick disconnects on mine so I can unplug it and keep it at home when not needed.

Best regards,
    Frank_S

5. Frank_Sebastian

Frank_Sebastian Well-Known Member

Hey Addison,

Sorry I mixed up your name somehow. Here is a model I would buy if I didn't already have one.

http://www.canakit.com/50a-dc-pwm-motor-speed-controller.html

It looks like mine, but is assembled and good for 50 amps.

I use mine with a 30# Minkota Riptide that is about 10 years old. I gig flounder with it and use it a lot. I run 5 hours about 60% continuous with a 3 year old battery and recharge every morning. I think I get 4 times more distance/time out of the PWM.

Best regards,
    Frank_S