Help with Trailer

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by flats-guy66, Apr 27, 2013.

1. flats-guy66

flats-guy66 I Love microskiff.com!

I have a 17 maverick hpx-v and the trailer i purchased separately is for the 18 hpx-v. the boat sits farther forward as expected and the bunks are exposed about 9 in from the back of the boat. Will this be bad for the boat? Also, what can be done to fit the trailer for the boat..?
    Any responses are appreciated. Thanks

2. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

You want the boat to be balanced on the trailer. Too much weight to the back and you risk losing control at highway speeds. Too much forward and it may exceed the weight rating of the tongue (usually 200lbs).

Adjust the boat on the trailer to get it where it needs to be and then move the winch arm to the boat and if you want, cut the bunks off.

The only issue I see with too long of bunks is if you forget to lift your tabs all the way up.

3. flats-guy66

thanks for the advice. i only have a mile trip from the boat ramp and don't really launch anywhere else. do you think modifications are needed? the boat seems level and well balanced but too far forward... should i move the winch arm back?

4. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

On the surface, no.

However, IF the boats is wildly out of position, yes.

Trim tabs - if the bunk is in line with the trim tabs -YES the bunk needs a saw taken to it.

5. staiano94

staiano94 I Love microskiff.com!

I would use a scale, a bathroom scale would even work. Use at mount of trailer hitch and see what the weight is. Might not be the most accurate, but it will give you a good idea of tongue weight. Then you can adjust accordingly. After adjusting take a road trip with boat on trailer. Do some highway driving as well.

6. flats-guy66

i know have an idea of what needs to be done. thanks