Help with motor mount

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by Bamajo, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Bamajo

Bamajo I Love microskiff.com!

Hello everyone,
    I was hoping someone could help me with bolting my 20hp tohatsu to my skiff. I have it mounted and went to lowes to get four stainless steel bolts. They were out of the size I needed but noticed there are many other grades. So, I was wondering if there is anything that would be better than stainless steel to help prevent corrosion.
    Also, should I put silicone in the holes through the transom before sliding the bolts through or is there something better?
    Lastly, if you thought you might want to change engines at some point is there any sort of engine mounting bracket you would bolt to the transom to only have to drill holes one time through the transom?
    Thanks for any input.

2. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Stainless is a must, if they dont have it you gotta get it somewhere else.
    slob some silicone all over the bolts and in the holes when mounting.
    most engines now a days have standardized engine mounting holes, so swapping shouldn't be a big deal as long as its newer model

3. Bamajo

Thanks for the information! I was hoping most new engines have a standard bolt pattern.

4. tkguppies

tkguppies Utter Noob.

I have the same motor, well Nissan stickers, and had a hell of a time mounting mine due to the carry handle. Anyhow it's finally mounted and been great. I clamped then thru bolted with two stainless bolts, washers, and nylocks. On my jack plate, rather than silicone, I opted for 5200 thru the fiberglass. Not sure it was needed, certainly more expensive.

Unfortunately the "portable" motors don't have the standard 4 bolt pattern. They only have two bolts + clamps.

5. Bamajo

Thanks for the response! I ordered the nylocks also. My engine was difficult to maneuver also due to the handle. Makes me want to leave it on there for good. :) The only reason why I might would want to change it is for a motor better suited for rivers. That won't be anytime soon though and I may like my prop just fine.