Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a brand new hog island skiff last year, but was only now able to get it out on the water. Having issues with not being able to get on plane and motor feels underpowered...

Getting to about 15MPH in the Hog with a Yamaha 40/30 Jet, installed properly so that it rides high like I was told to by John at Hog Island. Pictures attached.

Wondering if anyone has run a bigger 60/40 Yamaha jet on this? I'd like enough power to run Montana rivers and the current 40/30 just doesn't seem to have the nuts. Maybe the 40/30 isn't installed properly but I doubt it.

On the other hand I want to still be able to take this boat and poll it around in a foot of water, am I just dreaming? Is that possible with the bigger Jet?

Would love anyone's thoughts...

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bought a brand new hog island skiff last year, but was only now able to get it out on the water. Having issues with not being able to get on plane and motor feels underpowered...

Getting to about 15MPH in the Hog with a Yamaha 40/30 Jet, installed properly so that it rides high like I was told to by John at Hog Island. Pictures attached.

Wondering if anyone has run a bigger 60/40 Yamaha jet on this? I'd like enough power to run Montana rivers and the current 40/30 just doesn't seem to have the nuts. Maybe the 40/30 isn't installed properly but I doubt it.

On the other hand I want to still be able to take this boat and poll it around in a foot of water, am I just dreaming? Is that possible with the bigger Jet?

Would love anyone's thoughts...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey Skinny - MN guy here, but I have a place down by Varney. I bought a used SW16 about 5 years ago from John. As you know, great guy. As you may have experienced, typical small operation characteristics. The boat had some cupping on the hull, and also has continued to sag on my home modded trailer bunks. Getting it back today from an engineer who has corrected my trailer and I think with time and heat, that will correct a bit.

It has always had big empty feeling bulges in the cockpit floor, which John identified as rotomolding voids. To John's credit, as he was working on this used boat to sell it to me, he became conscious of some of these issues and offered me a new hull at the same good guy deal, but I said it didn't matter, wanted to support the small biz guy.

I built a stern casting deck behind the dry box on PVC pipe out of 3/8" HDPE cutting board material in beige. Looks and works good.

Ok, to your point. Mine struggles to do better than 22-23 GPS at 880' elevation with 2 guys at +/- 180# each and a 55# dog; maybe a little faster downstream. I run a 80's Yammy 3 cyl 2 stroke 50 hp w/the jet - famous 'Enduro' motor. Rebuilt to new, with the HydroTec 65 hp head kit. That motor, with TnT, should be right about 200 lbs. John and I talked about it, I know it's over power spec but right in there weightwise with a smaller 4 stroke. Power TnT is a must on these jets, really glad I got it. I should have around 42 hp at the pump, allowing 30% loss to the pump.

I have a Canyon Cooler rowers seat, 10' Sawyers, and a Minnkota up front. I run 1 Bluetop Optima with cable running up the the troller in case I need it, but don't use it as I'm in shallow rocky rivers with varying bottom depths - We powerdrift. I figure the stern deck might weigh 40#, and I have an aluminum seat post with PVC thigh brace up front, so not a lot of added weight.

So - the motor seller might have totally lied and sold me a beat down motor, charging me for the fix: my GPS could be wildly, consistently off, and - this could be right, actually - my other jet running muskie buddy says that the 'small outboard jet' pumps can only push so much thrust, regardless of powerhead, due to capacity. I don't know. That last bit seems unlikely, but I'm too old to argue.

I talked about it with John several times, think the hull was slow, or my concavity divot in the hull was slowing me down, but he remains sure that these boats are faster than I see on the water.

Here's some pics, the hull pic is between repowering up from a 30 prop to the 50 jet. I have more somewhere if you like, but thought you might want to see the leaning post and deck idea. Stay well, let me know if you want to chat further -
IMG_20170428_134452403_HDR(1).jpg
IMG_20170429_105019219.jpg
IMG_20190707_142642.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've got a two stroke Tohatsu 50/35 on mine and it runs at 25-26 MPH with just me in it (loaded with 2 coolers, 12v trolling motor/batteries, 12 gal of gas, rear deck). With another buddy in the boat I probably run at 23-24MPH. John will tell you that the 50/35 Tohatsu is the best engine for that boat from a weight/power perspective. I have a friend who has the Yamaha 60/40 on his...his top end speed is 24-25MPH with a lot of weight (custom front/rear deck, poling platform, coolers, 24V trolling motor/batteries). I have another friend with the 40/30 and I think he hits 24 with just him in the boat....22 with another in the boat. He doesn't have a rear deck but does have a poling platform and 12V trolling motor/battery. All of these speeds are in a still water setting. The 60/40 adds some additional weight which comes into play on the river. I can get a little skinnier with mine when running the river than my buddy with the 60/40. Hope that helps...as you can tell we have a lot of Hog Islands down here in GA.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks, Keith - mines a little slow (;/) ...Crazy thing today, out in the drift boat my buddy caught a 5 1/2' sturgeon on a fly - about a 30 minute fight, 7 wt with a 15 # tippet. Other buddy tailed it finally, and the fly just fell off the old girl's gill plate. Something to see, I'll bet she was 50 -60 years old! tight lines -

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got a two stroke Tohatsu 50/35 on mine and it runs at 25-26 MPH with just me in it (loaded with 2 coolers, 12v trolling motor/batteries, 12 gal of gas, rear deck). With another buddy in the boat I probably run at 23-24MPH. John will tell you that the 50/35 Tohatsu is the best engine for that boat from a weight/power perspective. I have a friend who has the Yamaha 60/40 on his...his top end speed is 24-25MPH with a lot of weight (custom front/rear deck, poling platform, coolers, 24V trolling motor/batteries). I have another friend with the 40/30 and I think he hits 24 with just him in the boat....22 with another in the boat. He doesn't have a rear deck but does have a poling platform and 12V trolling motor/battery. All of these speeds are in a still water setting. The 60/40 adds some additional weight which comes into play on the river. I can get a little skinnier with mine when running the river than my buddy with the 60/40. Hope that helps...as you can tell we have a lot of Hog Islands down here in GA.
Keith, super helpful thank you, I think my problem is that the hull has two massive divots on each side that look to be "cupping" from the boat coming out of the mold oddly or something. When you mentioned that your buddies boat doesn't run as shallow, how much difference do you there is? I live in Montana so running these things in rocky rivers will be one of the things I'm looking at doing - I haven't done it so far as we've been in run off mode here so big stolen rivers running high and fast aren't where I want to bust the cherry on a boat thats topping out at 12-15mph on flat water with no current...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Keith - where did you get the rod holders done? I'm looking for an option to install myself like that...
I bought the “handle/reel” holders from anytide who is a member on this site. I think his website is shallow water solutions. The rod tubes I made out of thin walled PVC, and the rod tube holders I made myself using King Starboard parts I had laying around my house (you can order it off of boat.outfitters.com).

·
Registered
33 Posts
I
Keith, super helpful thank you, I think my problem is that the hull has two massive divots on each side that look to be "cupping" from the boat coming out of the mold oddly or something. When you mentioned that your buddies boat doesn't run as shallow, how much difference do you there is? I live in Montana so running these things in rocky rivers will be one of the things I'm looking at doing - I haven't done it so far as we've been in run off mode here so big stolen rivers running high and fast aren't where I want to bust the cherry on a boat thats topping out at 12-15mph on flat water with no current...
Interestingly enough I have those same cupping issues on my hull. I think it’s from how they ship the boats as from what I’ve seen it’s a bunch of boats stacked on top of one another.

I would say I might have 2-3 more inches of draft; but keep in mind it’s not just the 60/40 engine on my buddies boat that is heavier, he has heavier decks, a poling platform, an extra 12v battery and other stuff on his that mine doesn’t. He still gets fairly skinny on the river; his pucker factor is just a little higher than mine lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts