Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I started gelcoating the sides of my Carolina Skiff J16 hull. It was looking great, but a bunch of bugs got into the gelcoat. The gelcoat I applied is waxed. My plan is too sand down the areas I coated, and re apply the gelcoat. Would it be ok to sand is down and re coat the side and continue to coat the rest of the hull? What girt(s) should I use before re coating. Or any other suggestions on how to fix the sides? I’m moving the hull into the garage until the gelcoat is done to reduce the chances of anything else happening to the coating.

Attachments

G

·
Hit it with 80grit and give it another go with the gelcoat, You don’t have to grind all off just scuff real well with the 80grit and you’ll be good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, will hit it with 80 grit and re coat. I do epoxy floors when I’m not at the fire department. Love bug season is horrible for us! They love the smell of epoxy! Apparently gnats do also. Glad I asked on the grit, my father in law was saying to use 180. Was thinking that was too high of a grit. Thanks for the help!

G

·
Cool, will hit it with 80 grit and re coat. I do epoxy floors when I’m not at the fire department. Love bug season is horrible for us! They love the smell of epoxy! Apparently gnats do also. Glad I asked on the grit, my father in law was saying to use 180. Was thinking that was too high of a grit. Thanks for the help!
Yeah, 180 is way to fine for gelcoat unless you thin it way down. When I am blending a repair, I will sand the feathered edges down to 220 but the last coat of gel is 50/50 gelcoat/duratec

1 - 5 of 5 Posts