Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into buying a used Gheenoe LT25, but it is missing some features and accessories that I know I would eventually want to add. Being new to the skiff world, could yall help me estimate the prices for a few upgrades....

-Raise the front deck (w/ or w/o hatch)

-add a 20-30hp tiller motor (prefer pre-owned to save $$). What is the best way to buy and sell used outboards?

-add a simple grab-bar setup

-small poling platform (any recommended manufacturers would be appreciated)

-DIY seadek or equivalent on "standing" areas (front deck, cooler, poling platform)

Just trying to get an idea for how much I'll be into this thing with the asking price plus these upgrades. Thanks in advance for any responses!!

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Okay here are my thoughts on a few things.
Gheenoes are a little tippy and I personally wouldn't want a poling platform unless you're a trapeze artist look into a casting platform on the back deck Kennedy tie down it so you can remove and move it to the front if you ever run a trolling motor.
I would look for an unicorn old 25 2 stroke motor best power to weight ratio going. But you could also look into the new Yamaha 25 4 stroke I think it's the lightest in it's class I would think a 30 hp is too heavy weight on the transom.
Raised front deck is personally preferred but do you want to fish in the boat or on top of the boat?
Seadek is comfortable on the feet for sure so if affordable why not only downside is it get dirty fast.
Grab bar is a nice idea if you stand and drive for long periods.
I've been boating for since I was 8 with my dad and owned my first boat at 16 now I'm 52 I've ran tiller and steering wheel boats tillers are by far my favorite. I run an action craft flats boat and my favorite to run right now is my gladesman here is a pic of her remember less is more with these small skiffs.
20191129_100324.jpg
20191129_100240.jpg

·
Registered
373 Posts
x2 don't need a poling platform on something that narrow. Instead look at a Micro Anchor and go as light as you can on the motor with the desired Hp you want.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay here are my thoughts on a few things.
Gheenoes are a little tippy and I personally wouldn't want a poling platform unless you're a trapeze artist look into a casting platform on the back deck Kennedy tie down it so you can remove and move it to the front if you ever run a trolling motor.
I would look for an unicorn old 25 2 stroke motor best power to weight ratio going. But you could also look into the new Yamaha 25 4 stroke I think it's the lightest in it's class I would think a 30 hp is too heavy weight on the transom.
Raised front deck is personally preferred but do you want to fish in the boat or on top of the boat?
Seadek is comfortable on the feet for sure so if affordable why not only downside is it get dirty fast.
Grab bar is a nice idea if you stand and drive for long periods.
I've been boating for since I was 8 with my dad and owned my first boat at 16 now I'm 52 I've ran tiller and steering wheel boats tillers are by far my favorite. I run an action craft flats boat and my favorite to run right now is my gladesman here is a pic of her remember less is more with these small skiffs.
Thanks so much for your input. I definitely want to keep things very simple on my skiff. Grab bar is as much for something for me to grab onto while moving around cockpit as it is for driving. I would love a 25 2 stroke if I could find one. Not trying to make a luxury boat by any means but want something functional for me and my boys to fish from. Thanks again!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Grab Bar is good! Gives a little security when running and you can put clamp on cup holders, nets and other handy accessories. Those cup holders also act as rod holders, they are made for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
310 Posts
Skip the raised front deck. Add a casting platform in the bow so you can get higher when you need to lower when you need the stability, casting platform can also be moved to the back if you want to pole. Greenies don’t like to turn on pole from the rear so a trolling motor and micro anchor are probably more useful than a dedicated poling platform. Grab bars get in the way when moving forward and back in this boat, but standing is cool and I wouldn’t do it in a gheenoe without one,

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Skip the raised front deck. Add a casting platform in the bow so you can get higher when you need to lower when you need the stability, casting platform can also be moved to the back if you want to pole. Greenies don’t like to turn on pole from the rear so a trolling motor and micro anchor are probably more useful than a dedicated poling platform. Grab bars get in the way when moving forward and back in this boat, but standing is cool and I wouldn’t do it in a gheenoe without one,
Great advice. thank you seth.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any advice on websites to shop around for center box-mounted grab bars? Unfortunately I don't live near any dealers.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Skip the grab bar unless you can find a used one cheap, ive run gheenoe and jonboat without them. I just hold on to gunwhale when i start getting crazy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
-Raise the front deck (w/ or w/o hatch) Depends if you do the work or someone else so the cost can vary from $100 plus your time to around $5- $600 if you pay someone to do it

-add a 20-30hp tiller motor (prefer pre-owned to save $$). What is the best way to buy and sell used outboards? Craig's list has a section for Boat Parts. I would start there.

-add a simple grab-bar setup Cost will depend on what you want. A simple bar is rather cheep ($100) or you can have one custom made with rod holders, glove box, switches, padded back rest and so on. Just depends what you want. A while back when I was looking they had some simple ones Amazon in the $150 range. I ran a boat for years standing without one so they are not critical. suggest you run yours for a couple months without one so you have a better idea what exactly want.

What you didn't ask for which is rather critical if planning to drive while standing is a Tiller arm extension for you outboard. I use a Tuff-Tiller by Shallow Water Solutions. They make other things for skiffs so you might want to check them out. Carbon Marine makes the best ones though but much more expensive.

-small poling platform (any recommended manufacturers would be appreciated)
Can't help you hear as the guy that did mine died a few months back. They cost $500-$700 depending on what you want. A Yeti or like cooler works fine as a casting or poling platform in small boats.

Since you are asking about a poling platform I would assume the boat doesn't come with a push pole. Tons of options here and can run $400 up to 2k

-DIY seadek or equivalent on "standing" areas (front deck, cooler, poling platform) I have Flex Dek on mine and installed it my self. cost $140 for a 47"x 86" sheet of it. Keep in mind if you get something with groves dirt tends to accumulate in them. Also get a pattern that won't show stains. That being said it's very comfortable on the feet!

·
Registered
475 Posts
If you must have a grab bar, look at what they are putting on the Sabine skiffs, more like a grab post/cane looking thing coming from the gunwhale. Deck on a gheenoe isnt much work either if youre comfortable working with fiberglass and a grinder.
deck prices will vary greatly depending on what material you use. DM me if you decide to go that route.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you ar elooking for a grab bar I have two I'm trying to get rid of that are brand new one is designed to hold a cooler and one is designed to mount to a coffin box style setup.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts