Help with boat registration / questions??

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by fishy82, Nov 25, 2011.

1. fishy82

fishy82 I Love microskiff.com!

So here's the deal. I am considering buying a boat with a clean lousiana title. I live in Florida and would be registering the boat here.. Is there anything special I will need to register the boat other than the title for the hull and trailer title?? The owner thinks we should get the title notarized. I have never done that in Florida. All I need is a signed title right?? Of course I will write up a bill of sale to go along with the purchase...

Am I missing anything??

Thanks

2. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Your good to go. There is not a requirement for a notarized title on that small of a purchase.

Two things that you said that is not right 1) is the bill of sale. The bill off sale is written by the seller, not the buyer. 2) There is no titles for trailers in FL for under 2,000 lbs. Have the seller write you a seperate bill of sale for the trailer as the DMV may keep the letter for the boat (which would also be for the trailer if combined)

When he writes them have the price broke down for the boat and then for the trailer. If you put more emphasis of the price on the trailer, you will pay less in taxes on the boat.

3. fishy82

fishy82 I Love microskiff.com!

Perfect thanks!