Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Trying to decide on a big stick purchase:Already have an 8 & 10( Sage salt which feels stout)
Last year I fished Islamorada and area on borrowed Hardy Proaxis 11 along with a Method 9 which I threw a 10 weight floater on.Proaxis was great.Method was great short to medium but felt overloaded long with the 10 on it.The Sage Salt 10 feels like it will never feel over loaded LOL.I threw an 11 at GT’s in Christmas Island and a 10 for Permit.Cast a 12 RPLXi on grass but never fished one.It threw fine but felt heavy.
Any how want to buy a big stick that will handle larger fish when I go to Florida again or some bigger fish(Dorado, maybe small Marlin) in Mexico Baja or East Cape.I don’t want a bunch of big sticks- trying to get “the one”.So should I get an 11 or a 12? What rod ?
I can throw any type of action but as I get older I seem to be moving to faster rods! Maybe my biological clock is telling me to hurry up and get the fly out :).So I guess I am looking for big stick that can handle bigger fish but then I also really liked the Hardy 11 - it was light and seemed quick enough, and I don’t want to stand holding a super heavy rod if I don’t need to.
Chime in please.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,506 Posts
I'm probably older than you and my big rod is a Sage II, 13 wt. It does not appear that heavy to me and the newer rods will be light and fast. If you want to go for Big Tarpon, Bill fish, GT you better have a 12 or 13 with a reel that holds lots of backing
IMHO

Reactions: flyclimber

·
I Love microskiff.com!
541 Posts
I'm probably older than you and my big rod is a Sage II, 13 wt. It does not appear that heavy to me and the newer rods will be light and fast. If you want to go for Big Tarpon, Bill fish, GT you better have a 12 or 13 with a reel that holds lots of backing
IMHO
I agree
If you have an 8 and 10 then a 12 would be best
You can pretty much do it all in the saltwater with those three
But might need something beefier for some blue water stuff if you do that..

And I’d go with a 12 salt if you’re happy with what you have
I love them

·
Registered
352 Posts
i have a sage salt 12wt. It is a total beast. I would not hesitate to chase big palegics and 150lb tarpon with it.

I might be selling it on the BST soon FYI as I dont really chase the big fish mentioned.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
691 Posts
Asquith or Scott meridian 12- these rods are super light in hand and don’t feel like broomsticks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts