Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a hell of a time with this setup and finding the right prop!!

I need help!

1) came with a 17 pitch by 13 aluminum prop. Got 54rpm maxes out
2) Tried a PowerTech 15 pitch by 13. Got 58 rpm but had terrible prop chatter
3) went back to aluminum but ran a 15 pitch by 13. Get 62 rpm and no prop chatter.
4) JB owner of Cayo got back to me and told me to get the talon sds 16 pitch by 13 1/8. Got it and only get 52rpm but great hull shot and no prop chatter

- I need help!!! My next step is a talon SDS 14 by 13 1/8. But I am worried about stern lift bc my boy only has 4 degree deadrise.

Please advice needed

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry sold the PT 15”

Y’all think if I am getting 52rpm with perfect trim and tilt with the 16 pitc then I should go to the 14 pitch?

·
Registered
828 Posts
I am no expert but basically my understanding is that the motor should run in the manufacturers WOT RPM range when the motor is trimmed correctly. When I first had my skiff I could not get into that range, when I asked a more experienced operator for assistance he got my skiff into that range on a F70 rather easily by simply trimming the motor further up than I had tried. Now that range is not attainable for me in all condition ie chop, but on glass I can easily get into the high end of the range but not up to 6300 like you. I don't think props are a zero sum game, I think there is give and take. You as the operator of your skiff have to choose what is most important to you speed, plane distance etc. I am sure you could call up michigan wheel and give them the data you already have on the props you have tried and what you are most concerned with performance wise and they could make a recommendation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts