Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m part way through building a casting deck to go in my Towee. I want it to support my weight plus a cooler. Will be using it to cast and pole from. The thing I keep debating is how to support it and how to anchor it to the boat. I also want it to be removable. My current plan is to frame it on the under side with aluminum angle (see photo). The angle (1) running the full length of the aft edge will be through bolted to the front bench. The angle (2) will have aluminum angle legs (see drawing) to support the forward end of the deck. The angle (2&3) will overhang the hatch opening to support the hatch. I’ve got hinges and a cam latch for the hatch. I’m also planning to anchor it to the boat at the two tabs on forward edge of the platform with a couple of angle brackets. I plan to epoxy the wood, glass the edges and cover top in seadek. Any thoughts? I originally considered plywood framing but decided the aluminum will last longer. Also considered 4 legs so it just dropped in but figured it would bounce around and be noisy if not anchored to the boat somewhere.

EEE2FCDD-5937-413E-B125-42B3E900B7DF.jpeg
FC3C0669-A263-480C-8F3B-92FA5E86A852.jpeg
63E9F27B-DA51-48BD-86DC-D443E6DC2418.jpeg

Attachments

·
Brandon, FL
10,974 Posts
1) not much use in describing how to do it because you basically have it all done.

2) is your boat aluminum?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) not much use in describing how to do it because you basically have it all done.

2) is your boat aluminum?
The wood and aluminum are cut, but nothing is screwed down yet and no holes are drilled in the boat. I guess I'm just asking for feedback on my plan.

It's for a Towee. It's fiberglass.

·
Brandon, FL
10,974 Posts
The wood and aluminum are cut, but nothing is screwed down yet and no holes are drilled in the boat. I guess I'm just asking for feedback on my plan.

It's for a Towee. It's fiberglass.
Bolting is not the best. Grind a bit and glue blocks to the perimeter. For support, use some plywood just like you have the aluminum laid out except glue with epoxy.

Go through @firecat1981 builds, it shows you exactly how to do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts