Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey All!

Someone from another forum recommended I ask here for some help picking out my next boat. A little background, cousin and i picked up our first boat, a ranger 350V last year, despite the amount of TLC it needs i'm hooked. I'm lucky enough to live next to a private lake that's catch and release only so there's some good fishing to be had, if i had a boat to get to the other side of the lake (not fishable from shore). I currently live in CO and fish a few of the lakes here, the largest lake i'd likely take it out to is Lake McCaunghy up in NE. The private lake i fish on allows for power boats (at a hefty hefty price i can't afford to pay), with that said, the lake is generally empty and doesn't get too choppy or windy down here. The power boaters are also good at keeping their distance from folks out fishing.

Being a private lake there's some rules i have to abide by to launch a boat though, regardless if they make sense. There are also some other restrictions i have and some things i'd like to have.

1. Must be less than 14 ft
2. Must be an electric motor (less than 65# of thrust, shouldn't be a problem)
3. In my infinite wisdom, i made the gate to my backyard 8' wide and i'm too lazy to rebuild the fence right now to make it wider
4. Safety is an absolute concern since i'll likely be taking my nieces/nephews along with me
5. I'm on a tight budget, being my second boat i don't quite have enough funds to go all out on both boats. Some where around 1500 max (including costs to fix her up)
6. Would be nice to be able to take it out onto other waters and not worry too much about sinking/flipping over.
7. Would like to be able to fit 2 adults and one kid

I generally fish for bass/walleye in depths of about 5' to 20'.

Given what limited knowledge i do have, i have my heart set on a Mod-V aluminum boat, am i insane for wanting that or is there something that'll suit me better? I've been eyeing some mod-v 1448's but am beginning to think they don't exist at my price range so i'm curious if there's something else that'll work better. I've looked at a bunch of different boat manufacturers to see what's possibly available just haven't had any luck in finding anything i can afford or that's old enough i can afford it :D

so... do i have any other options besides a 1448?

Thanks!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,325 Posts
Depends on the type of fishing you want to do. Just about everybody here is fishing shallow water from poling skiffs. If you want to fish for walleye in 20’ of water you probably need a different boat than chasing redfish in 18” of water. My suggestion, get a Hobie Pro Angler kayak.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Depends on the type of fishing you want to do. Just about everybody here is fishing shallow water from poling skiffs. If you want to fish for walleye in 20’ of water you probably need a different boat than chasing redfish in 18” of water. My suggestion, get a Hobie Pro Angler kayak.
oooh, sorry, in my rush to get the post out, i didn't mention i'd like to be able to fit a couple of adults and a kid... i also updated my post to include what i typically fish for, walleye/bass in about 5-20' of water.

Thanks for the suggestion though :D

·
Registered
339 Posts
Had a G3 1448 with a bit of a v up front. Pretty stable and without a motor you might be able to get one in your price range. It's all welded so you don't have to worry about fixing a bunch of leaky rivets.
20180629_190726.jpg Or what i did in Washington state was run a 10ft jon boat with a trolling motor. Fit the boat in the bed of my truck and fished a ton of small electric only lakes with it. Bought the whole setup for about 500 bucks. No trailer to worry about maintaining either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had a G3 1448 with a bit of a v up front. Pretty stable and without a motor you might be able to get one in your price range. It's all welded so you don't have to worry about fixing a bunch of leaky rivets.
View attachment 82424 Or what i did in Washington state was run a 10ft jon boat with a trolling motor. Fit the boat in the bed of my truck and fished a ton of small electric only lakes with it. Bought the whole setup for about 500 bucks. No trailer to worry about maintaining either.
OOhhh, i was hoping someone who's owned a 1448 would chime in, i've never been on a mod-v or a flat hull so have no point of reference for stability. In your opinion, given i tend to shy away from choppy waters with kids on the boat, would a 1448 with a slight v be stable enough for the kids? One of the main reasons i want something for the private lake is it makes it easy for me to take the nieces/nephews and my dad to go fishing without some long haul to a lake, being close to home also means i don't have to worry to much about "emergencies" and can teach the kids how to fish.

By chance, i inherited two minn kota C2 30# motors and have a 8HP merc in storage so i can use those which will help with costs.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The 1448 was pretty stable for being such a small boat. I fished 2 adults off of it all the time without issue. Here in Corpus the wind is always blowing at least 15mph i never felt unsafe in it. With kids I'd definitely keep to calm days though. 30lb might be a little small for the boat if the wind picks up, i didn't have a trolling motor on my 1448 so I'm not sure what size would have been best. I was looking at putting a 55lb on it if I did. I'm sure there are guys on here much more savvy than I am on which tolling motor to buy.
Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh nice, thanks for the info that helps a lot. Most things i read didn't give me a frame of reference aside from general info. If all fails I'll go with the 30 +8hp for lakes that allow it and see where i get. I'll definitely consider a non mod v now, should make it easier to find something

1 - 13 of 13 Posts