Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK fine folks, I'm looking to brainstorm with you all about... cupholders.

I am the recent new owner of a Spear Low Tide 16, open deck, no liner or bulkheads, with a coffin box. I need three permanent/semi permanent solutions, one each for poling off the platform, driving the tiller, and for the passenger/angler. I'm not going to put stainless rod holders mounted to the legs of my platform, and everything needs to be nice and tidy and not catch flyline and keep with the aesthetics of this setup.

Already thinking of having a piece welded to the rear of the platform to accept a hockey-puck rear nav light, and also maybe a recessed cupholder in the platform itself.

Here are some pics to show the hull layout...
Charleston-sc-flyfishing-photography-2345554.jpg
Charleston-sc-flyfishing-photography-4676445.jpg
Charleston-sc-flyfishing-photography-4676456.jpg
Charleston-sc-flyfishing-photography-4676457.jpg
Charleston-sc-redfish-flyfishing-photography-1232565.jpg

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
First. If you can have a cup in the platform, why weld a piece on. Just mount the puck on platform. There are some suction cup mount holders that might work on the cooler. https://grippit.com/ Low profile, fit in a pocket. Think of that cooler as your work bench. That’s what you have to work with on a simple skiff. By the way. Is a pelican about to shit on the guy on bow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First. If you can have a cup in the platform, why weld a piece on. Just mount the puck on platform. There are some suction cup mount holders that might work on the cooler. https://grippit.com/ Low profile, fit in a pocket. Think of that cooler as your work bench. That’s what you have to work with on a simple skiff. By the way. Is a pelican about to shit on the guy on bow.
Thanks! That looks just about perfect except the suction cups seem to pretty low end based on the product photos. No pelican in that photo, just a weird/funny capture. I think he had been looking at his backcast and that's just part of that.

·
Registered
103 Posts
What about recessed holders? I’m sure there are plenty of options for good looking stainless ones that would be snag free.

You could mount a pair on the top of the coffin box, one in the center of the platform as far forward as it’ll go, and one somewhere on the front deck. Or, if you wanted to avoid putting them in the coffin box lid you could mount some through the gunnels on either side right behind the front deck bulkhead as long as it didn’t mess up your rod storage.

If you get a tab welded onto the platform for your nav light, you can have them also install an eye so you could hang a drink holder from it and avoid drilling through the platform.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
483 Posts
Best solution would be to shotgun your beer and you don't need to set it down.

Runner-up is to get a beer holster that straps on your leg like a gunslinger. These are pretty bitchin' but not sure how safe it is to cross at border towns these days. But if you find out it's safe let me know.

If you're more metro than S. Texas you can get of those koozies that hang around your neck. Those are like a beer holster for Lafayette pretty boys (beer necklace?). Right @TidewateR ?

Other option is to put the recessed holder in the poling platform as shown above, stand on the back deck and lean against the platform as you drive the tiller (so that holder doubled for the "while driving" holder too), and get a suction cup or screw mount to go on the backside of the coffin box where it is least likely to snag a fly line.

Problem with a recessed holder in the top of the coffin box is you might end up with it leaking into the coffin box if your drain tube fails.

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,684 Posts
Love how clean the deck is on that Spear. That's a sweet skiff -- pretty sure I met you at the ramp one day.

I like those little pockets created by the open bulkheads, and if it were my skiff I think I'd use them to my advantage as much as possible.

You could make it so your cup sits on the deck, but just behind the bulkhead, so your cockpit stays clear. The cup holder itself could either come up off the deck or mount to the backside of the bulkhead, if that makes sense. You could have one on either side (for the driver/passenger), tucked out of the way of flyline, spray, clumsy feet, etc. Personally, I think I'd make something out of stainless, ipe/teak, or starboard, maybe 2-3" tall or so, that came up off the deck. Basically however tall you can make it while still being able to easily get a tall boy in/out of there. You can screw it down, or just use adhesive for a less-permanent bond. Not sure if it would end up as simple as I'm thinking, but that's where my mind goes with it.

If the angler is on the bow... maybe something similar tucked "behind" (fore of) the front bulkhead, once again so it's out of the way of the deck. If you decide to add a casting platform, then you could do a recessed one in it if you want.

I also have a recessed cup holder in my poling platform, and it works well. Obviously there's something to trip over when you have a drink in there, but you get used to it just like anything else. Like @EvanHammer said, you can use that one too if you're standing while driving.

Let me know if you want a hand fabbing something up, I've usually got some scrap stainless and a little bit of ipe if you choose to go that route.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Here's how I'd set up that skiff... For your rear light - a folding hella light that would mount on the front corner of your poling platform - folded into the down position you'd have a good stern light that's out of the way entirely (unless you push through small closed mangrove lined creeks with branches that reach out to snag anything not on the floor) - out of the way... To do a really clean installation run your power cable up through the front leg of your poling platform then out the top metal right where your light will be mounted (and also install shark-eye front nav lights to keep your top cap clean as well...).
For two rod holders I'd go to flush mount plastic ones (they're one heckuva lot stronger than they look and you wouldn't trip over one...). Mount them on your gunnels just about even with the front edge of your rear platform halfway between the outboard edge of your gunnel and it's inboard (cockpit side) edge. I actually have four of them on my old Maverick - a pair at the rear and a pair at the front - but they're only used when live or dead baiting and with a small skiff you might never have a real use for them at all if all you do is work lures or flies....
The advice to use Sea Suckers for incidentals is right on the money since you can mount a drink or odds and ends holder wherever it's needed -then remove it when not needed.
For passenger seating -just one passenger... look into mounting a bass-style seat on the front end of your coffin box. They're super comfortable and if you buy a lightweight one, won't impede your ability to raise and lower your coffin lid.. I have three across at the rear of my old Maverick and theyr'e worth their weight -day in and day out. The best I've found can be seen here.... look for Tempress products at fish-on.com (mine are the Navistyle low back seats). By the way I know of one guide running a tiller setup in the Chokoloskee area that has a back rest (a 10x6" upholstered pad...) bolted to the right front leg of his poling platform. When he's running he has a nice backrest and uses a portable cushion to sit on. When fishing it's all out of his angler's way... He has his coffin box mounted cross-wise at the center of his deck - with two of those bass seats side by side for his anglers (his skiff is a 17' - one off design that I drool over every time I see it...).

By the way that's a great looking lgihtweight skiff - as you add stuff (we all do it...) try to keep any additional weight to a minimum- you'll be glad you did if you want to get skinny and pole up on tailers... at least that's my take on it.... Hope this helps.

·
Lip Ripper
1,717 Posts
Whats up Jerms? I have two ss recessed cup holders, one mounted in each platform. I'd also consider putting them in the gunnels like this.
upload_2018-3-9_10-17-56.png

Looks like you're back from NZ, Lets fish soon.

Reactions: SomaliPirate

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ive seen nice swing away, undermounted cup holders but not sure where. The robogrip holders are very functional and hold tight. Just not good near fly line but they move easy.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,571 Posts
Best solution would be to shotgun your beer and you don't need to set it down.

Runner-up is to get a beer holster that straps on your leg like a gunslinger. These are pretty bitchin' but not sure how safe it is to cross at border towns these days. But if you find out it's safe let me know.

If you're more metro than S. Texas you can get of those koozies that hang around your neck. Those are like a beer holster for Lafayette pretty boys (beer necklace?). Right @TidewateR ?

Other option is to put the recessed holder in the poling platform as shown above, stand on the back deck and lean against the platform as you drive the tiller (so that holder doubled for the "while driving" holder too), and get a suction cup or screw mount to go on the backside of the coffin box where it is least likely to snag a fly line.

Problem with a recessed holder in the top of the coffin box is you might end up with it leaking into the coffin box if your drain tube fails.
best friends.gif

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,149 Posts
You're from the South, ain't you? I love it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts