Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Mitzi 17 and just bought a minn kota powerdrive ipilot and am looking for some help mounting the RTA-17 quick release bracket before I start drilling holes. I would be really appreciative if you guys would be willing to take a few pics of your setup and the approximate location of the puck. I laid everything out and as it stands the front two bolt holes for the puck will be between the rubrail and the hull, and the back two will be just inside the hull and may be very difficult to get a nut on due to clearance. Any pics or advice would be great!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I ended up with 2 holes outside the hull as well. Works fine so far. Working 12's all weekend but can get you some better
20180918_191326.jpg
pics Monday if nobody else does by then.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2007 Mitzi 17 and just bought a minn kota powerdrive ipilot and am looking for some help mounting the RTA-17 quick release bracket before I start drilling holes. I would be really appreciative if you guys would be willing to take a few pics of your setup and the approximate location of the puck. I laid everything out and as it stands the front two bolt holes for the puck will be between the rubrail and the hull, and the back two will be just inside the hull and may be very difficult to get a nut on due to clearance. Any pics or advice would be great!

Did you install? I’m doing the same now and would like to get
Some advice before drilling

·
I Love microskiff.com!
378 Posts
Before you start drilling hole "outside" due to mount and TM dimensions, I'd rethink the mount. I have the same TM on my Caiman and the RT17, due to length would have required me drilling/bolting outside my cap.
I used the RT19 instead and the extra length let me keep the puck mounted to my cap inside the bonding.
Much rather drill $85 worth of plastic to fit the TM bolt configuration than drill through my skiff where I'm not comfortable.
Just my $.02

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Before you start drilling hole "outside" due to mount and TM dimensions, I'd rethink the mount. I have the same TM on my Caiman and the RT17, due to length would have required me drilling/bolting outside my cap.
I used the RT19 instead and the extra length let me keep the puck mounted to my cap inside the bonding.
Much rather drill $85 worth of plastic to fit the TM bolt configuration than drill through my skiff where I'm not comfortable.
Just my $.02

Mike
That’s a thought. Basically the puck can get mounted further back in that case right? Away from the rub rail

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just my $.02

Mike
That’s a thought. Basically the puck can get mounted further back in that case right? Away from the rub rail

·
I Love microskiff.com!
378 Posts
Sorry for the delay Bryan, been deer hunting and off the grid.
Yes, due to dimensions of the longer top mount the puck can be mounted farther back from the edge.
I'll post a couple pics of my setup after work.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
378 Posts
Looks good! What gauge wire you have there? Must be a short run? I’m trying to determine whether I have to go down to a 6 gauge to accommodate for the extra distance to my battery.... and also where to splice into the wire “whip” on the motor
That's about 8" of the factory wire remaining, and terminates in a quick disconnect. I have approx 20' of (I believe) 6ga tinned copper running to the battery. I can check it and shoot another ouch if you need me to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts